No explosions, please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No explosions, please...

I want to be able to use power tools to sand my tank down before priming & painting (I have removed the badges & filled in the area w/bondo). I know sparks can ignite fumes no matter how much I rinse the tank out. I have heard filling it with water will allow me to use power tools but who wants to do that? I have also heard running the exhaust of another motor will supply enough carbon monoxide to also prevent an explosion.

My question is, is there anything less dangerous I can try?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Fill it with argon

Comment

Sand.Seriously, if you have washed and rinsed the tank and allowed it to air dry for a few days you will be fine. I've done 5 tanks over the last 8 years and have yet to blow myself up.

If you plug the openings it will lessen the chance of any sparks getting to any left over vapour but having said that I've yet to see any sparks from a small sander.I usually use a small 1/4 sheet sander on the roughest bits only then switch to hand sanding with wet and dry from about 320 grit through to 600. Not too time consuming and does a good job.

I'd be more concerned if trying to weld or braze on it. On the GS tank, when I got it the seams had been professionally welded but it still leaked at some pin holes. I plugged them with plumbers epoxy (impervious to gas, I tested) and they are still holding fine at 5 seasons now.

You'll be fine but whip down to the Armourey and borrow the bomb disposal suit for the weekend, just in case.

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

Rinse it, set it out in the sun for a couple of days with all the cap, petcock, etc off

Fumes will then be insignificant
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

What about using a chemical treatment to remove the paint? Is there anything safe similar to peelaway http://www.paintremoval.com/

or paint stripper - that can be used for removing automotive paint? This peel away stuff works great for getting regular paint off old doors and brick walls... wonder if it'd work on the tank?

well here it is right from their site...

Auto Paint

To remove auto paint you can use the Peel Away® 7 or Smart Strip®. Keep in mind, this is not intended for removing graffiti from a car. It will remove the graffiti as well as the automotive paint. Order Peel Away® 7 | Order Smart Strip®

Frequently Asked Questions

These are Frequently Asked Questions by many of our customers. Please review before buying. Just click on the item that you are inquiring about.

Aluminum
          Asphalt
          Auto Paint
          Black Mastic
          Brass
          Brick
          Carpet Adhesive
          Carpet Glue
          Cast Iron
          Cement
          Ceramic Tile
          Chrome
          Concrete
          Copper
          Dry Lok
          Dumond Anti Graffitiant
          Dumond SC101 Sacrificial Barrier Coating
          Epoxies
          Flashing Cement
          Fiberglass
          Floor Tile Mastic
          Formica
          Graffiti Remover
          Graphite
          Hard Woods/Soft Woods
          Industrial Floor Coatings
          Latex Paint
          Latex Paint versus Oil Paint
          Lead/Oil Based Paint
          Lift Away Graffiti Towels
          Marble
          Marine
          Milk Paint
          Oil/Grease Remover
          Peel Away® 1
          Peel Away® 5
          Peel Away® 6
          Peel Away® 7
          Plaster
          Porcelain
          Shellac
          Spray Adhesive
          Stain
          Steel
          Stucco
          Urethanes
          Varnish
          Water Based Paint
          Using A Spray Gun To Spray Peel Away
          Remove paint from dry wall

Drywall

Smart Strip™ is extremely effective in removing paint from dry wall. First do a "test patch" to determine how much time Smart Strip™ should remain on the painted dry wall. Generally, less than two hours should be sufficient. You do not want leave it too long and possible remove the paper portion of the dry wall. Go slowly and if necessary re-apply Smart Strip™. You will amazed with the results. Order Smart Strip™ Paint Remover

Aluminum

We recommend Peel Away® 6 or the Peel Away® 7 to remove paint from aluminum, Peel Away® 1 will not work. Order Peel Away® 6 | Order Peel Away® 7 | Order Smart Strip®

Asphalt

We recommend Peel Away® 6 to remove paint from asphalt.You should leave on until you start to see it bubble. As soon as you see the paint start to bubble you should remove it with a garden hose or pressure washer. Do not allow it to stay on too long because it may harm the asphalt. Order Peel Away® 6

Comment

I got some stripper at Home depot that was a new product rated to remove epoxy paint. It will remove just about anything including thin nitrile gloves.
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

+1 on the stripper. Get aircraft stripper from your local paint shop; just ensure you use gloves, wear a mask, and do the work outside or in a WELL VENTILATED shop. It's what I used and took the old paint right off. Course I had to do it a few times as there were about 4 layers of paint.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Could fill it with used motor oil as well.

+1 to the stripper though.

Comment

Just be sure you have enough $1 bills...

oh nevermind

Comment

Working...
                  X