She just won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She just won't start

I'm am trying to fix my '81 GS850 to sell it. Last year she ran just fine until the electrical gremlin that showed up near the end of the year. I ask about that one Here

I started it up a few weeks back and it was still running ok. Yesterday a potential buyer came to have a look at it. He said he would be along in a couple hours. I used that time to start it up and make sure its running... And I used that WHOLE time. She just wouldn't go. At one point I pulled all the plugs to blow them off with compressed air. Put them back in and she ran... sorta. With the choke on and the throttle twisted maybe 20% i got her to run for a minute. This is just when the buyer pulled up in front of my house. And I couldn't get her to go again. The situation was a complete embarrassment. He said he was still interested but needs to see it running first. Just my luck. This too was on Canada day which I thought would be a good omen because I sold my Yamaha Maxim 650 on Canada day 2008.

Should it just be a matter of pulling the carbs apart and doing a cleaning or is there something else I should try first?

Its such a pain in the ass to be putting work into a bike I don't plan on keeping.

When is the last time it ran well?
    Is the battery fully charged and healthy?

A partial battery is a source of multiple grief sources.
    Starter drags, coils do not get full voltage etc.

Comment

Just sell it as is for $100 or so...
      So much easier than doing proper maintenance.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Just sell it as is for $100 or so...
        So much easier than doing proper maintenance.
        You can always put off maintenance;an upfront CL lister in Maine is asking $50 for 82 650 E that went swimming 25 years ago- who knows if it's dried off yet!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

Just about everything you need to get your bike running well is in the "mega-welcome" in your other thread. Properly cleaned carbs, valve adjustment, working charging system, sealed air intake system, just for starters.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

Just about everything you need to get your bike running well is in the "mega-welcome" in your other thread. Properly cleaned carbs, valve adjustment, working charging system, sealed air intake system, just for starters.

BassCliff

It just for starters? But this bike won't start!

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              It just for starters? But this bike won't start!
              That's because it needs properly cleaned carbs, a valve adjustment, a working charging system, sealed air intake system,etc.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X