• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colortune: first use, impressions...

ok,
    a new world has opened ... remarkable things happen in a cylinder
    So, what I’ve learned from my first Colortune adventure:
    1) It is remarkable that, without really understanding ‘what would not be OK’ when listening to an engine turning at idle, you hear the engine get better when you eliminate the intermittent firing (losses) when turning the screw out. You can actually see, in the cylinder, having more explosions just by turning the screw. As a result, from the first carb, you hear the engine getting better.

Some of you will hear better than I can see, meaning, your ‘highest rpm method’ will be better tuned than my visual check of the colourtune, but anyway, for me, this is a required device.

2) I did not need the black plastic extension tube with the turnable mirror for viewing the spark plug color. Had enough with the lower plastic part that fits over the spark plug…

3) engine is running much better now (more firing) but I was not easy to work on the spark plugs as things get really hot for your fingers...does someone know an easy way of installing this without getting burnt ?

4) the color tune is not made of the highest quality material…For instance: the tip of the flexible HT shaft got stuck in the spark plug cap and got loose from the shaft when disconnecting a plug cap…had it solved with some long pliers but still, for a first use, you would think that nothing would be damaged when treated with care (as I did).
    Nevertheless, I put the tip back on the flexible lead and things worked out fine. So the material might seem a bit cheaper than what you would expect, still I will feel very confident using it next year after the annual valve adjustment.
    Yes, this is definitely a nice toy for our old bikes. Item number 4 (quality of material) is only a personal opinion. Maybe, if I would have paid double and had top notch quality, I would have complained about the price…It is a very useful toy for a fair price, so I’m not complaining but only giving my opinion.

Get a length of rubber tubing that fits snugly over the plug. Tighten and loosen the plug with the socket and then slide the tubing over the plug to remove and install it. Just be careful not to cross-thread the plug.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I use an old rubber boot from a truck wire to do hot plugs. A chucnk of garden hose that the plug fits in to has worked well too.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

So, my GS700 (and two Hondas I own) have 12mm spark plug threads. But my Honda CB360 (and other vintage bikes I've owned in the past) have 14mm spark plug threads.

Does this mean I need to buy TWO tools - one in each diameter? The various internet searches I've done aren't clear except that it seems that no adapters are available for the 12mm tool, but there DO seem to be adapters available for the 14mm tool.

It seems to me I should get the 14mm tool with a 12mm adapter, but I'm a bit confused...

Comments?

Thanks,

Kirk

Comment

Working...
        X