Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

missing air filter- and the box it was in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

missing air filter- and the box it was in!

I just bought a GS1000N. There is a sizeable open area under the seat above the battery. A round hole in the front of said area shows the carburetor intakes. No air cleaner. I look at a supplier's exploded OEM parts view and there is a second airbox under the seat which contains the air filter. My air filter box has escaped! Completely gone with no forwarding address!

Another thing: this bike has a set of NGK BRRP(something like that) 6ES plugs in it. 2 numbers hotter than stock. They show a rich condition in the cylinders. Haven't checked the timing yet- it runs fine other than tuff starting when cold. But then I just got it- still not familiar.

I have experience with Honda 750 fours but it didn't have CV carbs.

So- I'm tempted to go to pods instead of ebaying an air filter box. Its running rich already, why not? Pods and a set of B8ES and see where its at?

In my opinion you would be better off pulling the carbs, going though them to assure they are clean, update the O-rings, and take an inventory of the jets inside. At that point you can either choose to rejet or find the airbox.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

While you are at it, check your valve clearances to make sure they are right, too.

Valve adjustment, carb cleaning and electrical connection cleaning seem to be required on ANY bike that you buy.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Since its running well I wanna install the filter(s) before disturbing anything else. Just to see what changes there are b4 modifying anything else. I do intend to check the valves too. After I get a shop manual. And one of those tappet compressing tools. Gaskets too of course. Do you guys have a micrometer to measure shims and a selection of spare shims to pick from? Or do ya measure then order?

Comment

Originally posted by LarryC View Post
          Do you guys have a micrometer to measure shims and a selection of spare shims to pick from? Or do ya measure then order?
          This depends on who you talk to. Guys who have had their bikes for a long time and maintain it properly will have spare shims. Then there are guys like me who are playing catch up with 30 years of maintenance that didn't get done by P.O.'s and don't have that stock pile. As I understand it, shims don't really wear out and can be swapped from valve to valve or stored away if another size is needed. So both types of guys exist.

Comment

Good luck with your bike. I'm not one to gamble on old carbs with 30 year old rubber parts and unknown jets inside, but that's just me. As for the shims, many of the experienced GS owners have accumulated a selection of spares accumulated though thoughtful purchasing. Either a pair of calipers or a micrometer are useful for figuring out what shims you need since the numbers are often worn off. I go so far as to mic my shims and look for in between sizes for getting the clearance "just right".
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Good luck with your bike. I'm not one to gamble on old carbs with 30 year old rubber parts and unknown jets inside, but that's just me.
              Lol the gamble was when I bought it I rode 100 miles home. Now I'm just gonna install filters and plugs, then run it enough to test. The front brake needs rebuild too. I'm in no hurry to go places soon.

These O rings u mention. Are they included with rebuild kits?

Comment

Don't buy rebuild kits

www.cycleorings.com is your man

You can go to BassCliff's site and download a service manual for free, plus all sorts of common repairs for the GS, Check out the links he included in your megawelcome

On the valves, there's a shim swap club down in Services

Check the Parts for sale for an airbox

From what you're saying (no airbox, B6 plugs, rich condition) it sounds like the previous owner didn't know how to set up carbs

You say it has CV carbs? That would make it an 80, not a 79
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  From what you're saying (no airbox, B6 plugs, rich condition) it sounds like the previous owner didn't know how to set up carbs
                  Indeed

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  You say it has CV carbs? That would make it an 80, not a 79
                  Hearing all the talk I just assumed. They different than Keihins anyway!

No they don't have the large round chromed cap on top. The shape of the upper section is different than the Mikunis on my old RD400. The exploded view looks like them but shows no butterfly in addition to the slide. Hmmmm

Comment

They should be VM 26ss carbs

Check the VM carb cleaning tutorial and how to post up pictures on the BC site
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yup thats them. Being non-CV they should be easier to tune right? I'm gonna haveta order parts b4 I do anything more. Priority #1 though is the front brake. GOTS to have one'a dose! I can't believe the PO was riding around without! Jammed something into the caliper. Doesn't look like any piston I've seen in the how-to pics. Can't get it out either.

Comment

to redo the VMs, O rings and maybe some bowl gaskets are typically all that is needed. But, you'll likely need some jets

The brake piston is a basic round one. Dismount the caliper, pull the pads and pump it out

But, it could be stuck
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I've got the caliper apart. Ya its stuck! It isn't the piston shown in the how-to thread either. Ima get some fluid and try to force it out hydraulically. But its really in there. I may need a new caliper.

Comment

Working...
                          X