VM carb assembly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM carb assembly question

Doing final assembly after carb rebuild on my '79 GS1000E. Is there a vacuum tube between carbs #2 & #3? Pics I took don't show it clearly. I know there are the short tubes between 1 & 2, and between 3 & 4, but there are the same ports (maybe undrilled?) between 2 & 3. I put a hose there, but it seems to be in the way of the throttle return spring. No problem to cut it out if I don't need it. Thanks!

Those are not "vacuum" tubes, they are "vent" tubes.

There should be a tube between 1&2, then there is a longer tube that connects to the nipple on #2. There should be another tube between 3&4, the longer tube connects to the nipple on #4. There should be nothing between 2&3.

The nipple on #3 is the vacuum fitting that should connect to your petcock.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

that will be the vacuum pipe to your pet cock. you need it!. reroute it to miss your return spring or post pics so we can see whats wrong
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

This tube...........

The black tube behind the idle screw. Should it be there? Uses the same ports as the short, (like 1/2" long) tubes that are between 1 & 2, and 3 & 4. Not the 3 longer, smaller tubes that go to the petcock and atmosphere.

Comment

That tube isn't needed between 2&3. You noticed that they are undrilled and your eyes aren't playing tricks on you.

Comment

That's better!

I always save my old parts until the job is complete, and there was no old tube for here. Just wanted to verify. Thanks! Time for the bench sync.

Comment

Working...
            X