fuel petcock/carbs - 1979 gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel petcock/carbs - 1979 gs1000

looking for some information on the fuel petcock for a 1979 gs1000. I have had this bike for 6 months but had to finish up another project befor starting to tackle this bike full on.

Basically without telling a story that doesnt need to be told, what all will a torn fuel petcock diaphram cause? Im experiencing the carbs overflowing fuel while running, and when the engine is shut off it will leak out fuel everywhere. I purchased a petcock rebuild kit and installed it but havent had a chance to fire up the bike yet, it needs jumped and right now doesnt have a rear wheel on it to move it.

Does anyone know where to get GOOD diagrams of part fisches? Bike bandit is helpful, but its also very vauge.

Has anyone dealt with BSB_unlimited / Black Cat Motorcycle on ebay? im thinking about just buying a set from them since mine are missing the springs that go in the fuel and air adjustment screws and the screws themself are damaged.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2011, 08:37 AM.

They are all sorta vague but I found my local shop has a pretty good one. I think it really depends on how well they scan them in.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Alpha Sports

has the clearest fiche

It's the general consensus that rebuild kits don't work well. I'd advise you to get a new petcock, but I don't know if there's any left.

There's a list of vendors at BassCliffs site -read his megawelcome!
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks, I did a carb rebuild kit as well, and cleaned them twice and then once again when rebuilding them i cleaned them really well. I also adjusted the floats per the specs like 22-24mm i think. Since the bike was still leaking fuel i took the petcock apart and sure enough the diaphram was torn, thats why im hoping it fixes the issues. being torn im sure its letting more fuel in then it needs at idle right?

Even alphasports doesnt show the diaphram side of the fuel petcock, as far as i can tell anyways.

befor i could shake the tank and get fuel to come out of the petcock even though its supposed to be vac operated with no on/off switch. After putting the rebuild kit in wasnt leaking when i shook it, so maybe i fixed the issue. Also the gasket with 4 holes in it was worn down and had knicked up edges.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X