No announcement yet.

And so it begins...GR650 carb teardown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like waiting for Christmas as kid, isn't it? I knew I was getting this bike almost three months before I could get the time free to go get it. Delicious agony.

Your bike is really going to be something special. If I ever decide to mod this one, it'll be a scrambler as well. This one makes me weak at the knees when I look too long. Even with the low pipes it just does it for me.

Comment

It is indeed! And yes, I know that waiting game... all too well unfortunately

Thanks for the kudos, I'm hoping I can do the pipe justice with the rest of the bodywork and painting... that's going to be the biggest challenge I think. Bits I can buy and stick on aren't so much of an issue...

That is a nice XS for sure! But if it was mine, I'd be straight off to Tranzac

I want those tyres...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
        You'll wanna do the valves for sure, there have been many reports of very large improvements after proper valve adjustments...
        Most of the "large improvements" are if the bike is hard to start now.

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
        I'll definitely check the valves, but this starts almost at the touch of the starter, so if they are out they are probably loose if anything.
        My bike has been starting VERY easily, but I have put on about 5000 miles since I got it last year. It has been running quite well, actually returning about 49 mpg during my Muffin Run a couple of weeks ago.

Last night, ArtByScars came over to my hotel, to help me adjust my valves and learn how to do his. FIVE of my valves were too tight to put a .0015" feeler in (yes, I use inch feelers ). After changing shims, we checked clearances again and found that two valves were still too tight. Yep, two valves requred two shim sizes to bring them in spec. Will sync the carbs tonight and see how much "improvement" there is. Will be taking it on the New England Ride this weekend (and riding two-up ), so it needs to be "right".

The moral of this little novels is: don't put off adjusting your valves "because it's running just fine".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X