muffler internals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

muffler internals

I have a GS1000N. Does anyone know how the mufflers are constructed? I mean how the baffles etc are arranged inside? These are in decent shape but someone has cut the end caps off. The noise level isn't much- I doubt if any louder than original. I wouldn't mind the bike being louder but my main motivation is saddlebags. There are a set on it now but they are kinda small besides being grungy looking. Still, they sit right on top of the mufflers. If I want to replace them with larger ones something will need to be done about the exhaust. I'm thinking about just cutting them off at the passenger pegs. Any ideas/knowledge? The bike has a Windjammer on it so big bags will kinda fit in. BTW the box which contains the air filter is entirely missing so I'm gonna have to deal with filters/jetting anyway.

You want to cut the exhaust so you can hang bags behind it? You realize that everything in the bag will stink, right?

Comment

Larry, I don't know what your mufflers look like. But the original muffs on my GR were rotted out. I split them down the "seams" to get the baffles out- there were 3 discs of different diameters and were a couple inches apart. By the exit there were some perforated baffles that could only be described as looking like old hand grenades (or maybe a baffle out of a riding lawn mower- I honestly don't know).

If you change the mufflers any more than they already have been, they will be louder and affect performance of the engine.

Comment

The mufflers angle upwards. Cutting them at the passenger pegs gains a couple inches vertically right there. Even if the bags do hang into the exhaust a little its right at the bottom where they are sealed best. If I use slanted bags airflow has to be downwards.

The caps being cut off reveals the final internal plate. It has a hole in the center and four .75" tubes protruding an inch or so a pair on each side. This plate being maybe 6" from the existing end. Dunno whats behind that of course.

My last resort plan is to cut them right at or behind the forward pegs and fashion(braising?) a connection to present a 1.75" male for attachment of Cycle Shack slip-ons. I had a pair of these on a 1200 Sportster and really liked them. Top-notch chrome and sound great- on the Sporty anyway. Those would be parallel to the ground. The chrome is bad so black heat-resistant(Hmmmm red to match the bike?) paint on the headers. I fear trying to remove them from the head though.

Comment

Working...
        X