Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas leaking after idle

Hey guys
    So I seem to have developed a very random issue, the attached pic is of a small puddle of gas under my bike. The gas is pouring stright out of what apears to be maybe an overflow comming off my carbs. But it only happens at random and after the bike is idleing for maybe 10 15 sec then she revs way down and starts pushing gas out. If I rev it up a bit stops dripping and rpms return to normal then after about another 10-15 does it again. But like i say its random sometiems I can go all day and never have it happen. Otherwise bike runs great its just happens once and awhile if im sitting at a stop sign or something. Also never ever happens on a fresh start only after its warmed up. Carbs have been gone through and cleaned happend before cleaning as well.

looks to me that one of your floaters is getting stuck, or not floating at all. Even maybe youre stopper needled that stops the fuel into the carb bowl is not sealing anymore..
    Perhaps time to rebuild the carbs?

But also to look at the whole picture here. Have you made sure youre fuel tank and its vent system is working properly? If the fuel tank is not venting, the tank is pressurizing and so the fuel is being forced into the bowls.
    On some bike the vent system is part of the fuel cap assembly, so do a detailed check.

Comment

I will deff check myvent system because now that you mention it I did notice a bit of a vapor sound the other day comming fro my gas cap so i opened it up and it mad a quick wooosh sound, I had no idea that a vapor lock could force fuel into the bowls. I justa ssumed a vapor lock would not allow fuel to flow at all thank you now i have a starting point. This is why I turn to the GS pros I'm so glad I found this site. Thanks again will post if the gas cap solves the issue any other opinions or recommndations are welcome.

Comment

Cool

That happens to be an area people overlook.
        The fuel tank will have some vents on the top by the gas cap.
        If you look closely one hole there will let any spilled fuel leak down to the ground and another should vent the tank. Some bikes have a different design and they use the actual cap as a path for the gas to leave the tank.

Just take a close look to youre gas tank system, Make sure all vent hoses are clear. And this means not only the rubber hoses but also the tubes on the tank that these hoses attacht to. Then check the fuel cap.

on newer bikes they are not allowed to vent fuel fumes onto the atmosphere, so the gas tank fumes are held in a carbon canister so be burned by the engine. Because you have an old bike, this most likely wont be the case...

Originally posted by Cafe650 View Post
        I will deff check myvent system because now that you mention it I did notice a bit of a vapor sound the other day comming fro my gas cap so i opened it up and it mad a quick wooosh sound, I had no idea that a vapor lock could force fuel into the bowls. I justa ssumed a vapor lock would not allow fuel to flow at all thank you now i have a starting point. This is why I turn to the GS pros I'm so glad I found this site. Thanks again will post if the gas cap solves the issue any other opinions or recommndations are welcome.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Cafe650,

I don't think I have properly welcomed you to the forum. So let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi Mr. Cafe650,

I don't think I have properly welcomed you to the forum. So let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Thanks for the welcome BassCliff I will surley check out the info I got my bike last year as my first starter bike picked her up for 500 bucks from an older guy who just had hip replacment was original owner thought he was goign to cry when he signed her over now i relize why, bought it with full intent on trading it or selling for something newer or a harley. But have since realized the prized gem I own and my only focus now is to maintain and keep this classic running with no intentions on getting rid of it. Ive come to realize everyone has a harley or a crotch rocket, but to own a GS is to own something very unique she turns heads and gets compliments everywhere I go. Once again thank you for the welcome!

Comment

On another note kina odd but i seem to have cleared up my idle and the gas leak. I was cleaning her the other day and pulled of my side panel and noticed I'd lost the bottom clip that keeps the airbox cover sealed threw a zip tie on it pulled it nice and tight seemed to have sealed it so i took it for a ride no more low idle and no more gass leaking idles flawlessly now no surging or drop in rpms what so ever. Even seems to have a little more get up and go Dont think it was that long ago i checked my filter but maybe longer then i think.

Comment

Working...
              X