GS850 will not run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 will not run

Ive got a '79 GS 850 with the VM carbs. I have been trying to get this thing running all summer. I believe my problems to be in the carbs but I cant seem to get them to work no matter what I do. They are spotlessly clean (read: carb dip) I can see through the holes in all Jets I cant see anything wrong with any carb part. However the thing will not run. I have heard two different things about pilot settings on the VM rebuild PDF it says 1 turn out for the Fuel 1 1/4 for the Air screw. My manual and others have told me 5/8 Fuel 1 1/4 Air. regardless I have tried these settings and many others and cant get it to run. At best I have had it running on 1 and sometimes 2 cylinders (and to make it more confusing not always the same cylinders.) I have compression 125ish on all cylinders cold (cant get a proper reading warm it wont run). I replaced the stock points ignition with a Z1 electronic ignition kit the spark is bright and solid. With no carbs on the bike at all I can spray starting fluid into each cylinder individually and it will run for a quick second so the problem has got to be in the carbs. I got the bike to idle once where it wouldnt die but it was running only on one cylinder. Another time I had it running between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle for about 30 seconds but it was running on only 2 cylinders and not even the same one as the time I got it idling on the one. Correct me if I'm wrong but running at 1/4-1/2 throttle its completely past the pilot screws effecting anything so its beyond a setting issue. This is driving me crazy I cant drop any more money into this project I am ready to buy another one and keep this as a parts bike or just scrap it all together. Any one have any ideas I feel like I have checked everything twice.

How is your timing? You said the points got replaced and you have spark, but is it sparking at TDC?

And is the battery fully charged? Last one: are the plugs wet with gas or dry after you try to start it?

Comment

Is your petcock delivering fuel?

Is there fuel in the float bowls?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Timing is spot on (statically anyway). At least if I am understanding how to set it correctly. There are the lines looking something like this:

|T|F14|

The light should turn on just as the timing mark lines up with the Middle line next to the F correct?

The battery begins fully charged every time I attempt to give it another go. After a half hour or so of trying different things it might be a little less charged from running the starter so much. Have not pulled the plug after extended periods of trying to start to see if they are wet.

Comment

yes there is fuel in the bowls.

Comment

Hi,

Just a couple of thoughts...

Sometimes when you clean the carbs it will take two or three times in order to do it thoroughly. Check Mr. Nessism's new carb rebuild guide. There's a copy on my website.

Are you using OEM or aftermarket float bowl gaskets? Sometimes, with the generic aftermarket gaskets, there are punch-outs that need to be removed so that they match the original gasket. All four gaskets might not be exactly the same.

If I think of something else I'll let you know.

My uncle used to say, "If you try something and it doesn't work...try something else." He was a great man.

Have you been through the checklists HERE?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2011, 11:13 PM.

Comment

I would go back and first check and make sure you have 12 V on the coils. Them check each cylinder for spark

Comment

Originally posted by veedub View Post
                Timing is spot on (statically anyway). At least if I am understanding how to set it correctly. There are the lines looking something like this:

|T|F14|

The light should turn on just as the timing mark lines up with the Middle line next to the F correct?
                The timing is good at the center mark, close enough to start
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

did you ever get all your valves set within specs? while you're in there checking your valve shims I would check and make sure your chain has not skipped, if it has it could easily be your problem.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

basscliff: my gaskets do have that hole punched out however my carbs do not have a passageway there, they appear to be slightly different than your carbs I also do not have the passageway opposite the one you have highlighted behind the float pin uprights. Also the Bleeder(pilot Jet) is in a different location pehaps this pictures are a set of CV carbs not the VM I have? That new tutorial while awesome is also for the CV carbs. I have done just about everything on that checklist except:

azr: I never changed out valve shims I wanted to hear it run on 4 cylinders before I invested this money, some valves are tight but not to the point where I think it should stop it from running. It might run better with proper clearances but I still think it should run with them tight, no?

Also how would I tell if the chain skipped time?

SqDancerLynn1: checked the voltage at the coils I think I am doing this correctly just check from the hot wire to ground right? interesting thing here I get 10.2 volts while I have 12.3 at the battery. I do however have bright blue spark on every plug.

Comment

WHOAH hold on a second I just was reading over my manual on static ignition timing and double checked with this link as well http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...-ends.html#A18

If I am understanding correctly if I rotate the engine clockwise my static timing light should just go OFF as I come to the |F1 line. I have it set so it just goes ON as I get to this point clockwise. Which would mean my timing is drastically off. I have only ever set points timing on my VWs where you are aiming to get the light to just come ON as your marks line up not sure why it would be opposite but someone please tell me if Im reading the Suzuki stuff right and this light should be turning OFF as the lines line up?

Comment

Originally posted by veedub View Post

Also how would I tell if the chain skipped time?

SqDancerLynn1: checked the voltage at the coils I think I am doing this correctly just check from the hot wire to ground right? interesting thing here I get 10.2 volts while I have 12.3 at the battery. I do however have bright blue spark on every plug.
                        Chain - check the service manual for the correct alignment of the marks at TDC

Voltage - 10.2 is static voltage, right? What does it drop to when you press the starter button?
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

veedub, these may seem obvious but lets get them out of the way anyway

Did you bench sync the carbs before re-installing?

If so, are the throttle shaft bolts all tightened?

Have you verified the airbox is sealed when you installed it?

How were the intake boots, hard? soft?

You may want to consider dropping your bowls to verify that you have fuel in them.

Are the vacuum lines all hooked up?

Comment

I think you read that right. I went a read the whole thing twice and I got what you got from it, the light should go OUT at the mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Indysteve View Post
                              I think you read that right. I went a read the whole thing twice and I got what you got from it, the light should go OUT at the mark.
                              Nope, comes on due to lack of current flow thru the points
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X