Ready to accumulate parts and tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready to accumulate parts and tools

Finally got my financial situation straightened out enough after moving to Vt and getting divorced to order lots of parts for my 650 GX, and a newly-acquired 650LZ for my brother to use when he comes back to the 'States (from Jakarta, where he runs schools). Based on what I've gathered over the months from this awesome site, Z1 Enterprises is the
    go-to site for most things (manifolds, intake boots, float valves, etc.), but I'm wondering what the latest opinions vis-a-vis sync tools are. Most, if not all, tutorials refer to the Morgan Carbtune, but I see Z1 has a "new" Motion Pro set-up, and I'm wondering about that before I pull the trigger on ordering all this stuff. Have a set of Bob Barr's o-rings for one bike, need to order another, and I've read the caveats about getting a set of adaptors from Z1, if I get the Morgan. Please feel free to PM me about what you think, or on open Forum, and thanks in advance. I've also down-loaded and printed both (are there more) carb rebuilding tutorials.Also, any advice on getting out the manifold mounting screws you can pass along, or refer me to elsewhere on here, already chowdered one Philips screw, and busted off the tip of one short Snap-On driver bit. Have an air impact ratchet driver, and understand about heat carefully applied to the head spigot/intake area to ease the process, but anything else clever I'd love to hear about.
    Last edited by recycled64; 07-18-2011, 10:29 PM.
    sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
    '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
    '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
    '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
    '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
    '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
    '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
    '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
    '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
    '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

I've used the Motion Pro tool a few times because my friend owns one. Now I own a Morgan Carbtune (bought used from another member here). The Morgan is much better IMHO - though I don't care much for the included plastic taps, preferring the brass style that they sell at Z1. The Motion Pro tool will get bubbles if your bike stalls during the sync, or can lose fluid if you're not careful. Maybe someday I'll put the permanent taps in (~$8/ea. @Z1 IIRC) but they were out of stock the last time I placed an order there.

Comment

That Motion Pro is a complete piece of crap. The vacuum pull on the older bikes pulls out all the liquid. When I spoke to the mfc, they told me there was nothing they could do about it.

Go with the Carbtune.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
        Maybe someday I'll put the permanent taps in (~$8/ea. @Z1 IIRC) but they were out of stock the last time I placed an order there.
        You want mine?

I got some, thinking they would be great. They're NOT.

They fit fine, but it's really hard to connect a vacuum tube to them because they are really short. The rubber caps that come with them don't hold very well. If your bike coughs just once while warming up, you will know which cylinder coughed, because there will be a rubber cap missing. After doing ONE carb sync with all this new-found "convenience", I took them off and put the stock plugs back in.

Originally posted by recycled64 View Post
        Please feel free to PM me about what you think, or on open Forum, and thanks in advance.
        Send me an address and/or phone number, I can come over to help you.

I am only about 70 miles away.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good to know. Well I guess that saves me $32 then. They did seem awfully short.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          You want mine?

I got some, thinking they would be great. They're NOT.

They fit fine, but it's really hard to connect a vacuum tube to them because they are really short. The rubber caps that come with them don't hold very well. If your bike coughs just once while warming up, you will know which cylinder coughed, because there will be a rubber cap missing. After doing ONE carb sync with all this new-found "convenience", I took them off and put the stock plugs back in.

Comment

Thanks!

Terrific, guys, just the sort of feedback I was looking for!
            sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
            '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
            '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
            '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
            '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
            '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
            '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
            '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
            '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
            '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
              That Motion Pro is a complete piece of crap. The vacuum pull on the older bikes pulls out all the liquid. When I spoke to the mfc, they told me there was nothing they could do about it.

Go with the Carbtune.
              I've never had such a problem with them. However you don't want to rev the engine and then snap the throttle closed with them, that would be bad...

That said the Motion Pro is a disaster waiting to happen, but they were given to me so that's what I use for now.
              "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
              X