Carb Fit Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Fit Question

rookie question here. My mechanic tells me that 3 of the 4 carbs on my 82 GS650G were damaged beyond repair by someone attempting to work on them. Knowing the history of the bike I can believe it. His thought is it is cheaper to buy a carb rack on ebay but I cannot find the exact one. Can anyone tell me which other bike carbs will fit? I am sure something will.

Why don't you describe/post pictures of the damage first. It might be something simple especially since mechanics don't really want to work on these old bikes. You're better off doing the work yourself.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yeah, you can probably fix them yourself. If not, try these options.

Go to BassCliff's site http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Download the service manual. It should identify the carbs for you.

Or use the Alpha Sports cross reference tools. Those suggest that your carbs are found on these bikes:

HTH

Comment

I believe that your carbs are BS32SS models. The same carbs from 80-82 GS550s, 650s, 750s, and maybe 850s are the same model but the jets inside will be different (except for the 650 of course). Perhaps some later models as well. The 550s went to siamesed carbs but 83 650s still used BS32SS IIRC. Also things like choke and throttle attachments will vary between models and years. But the base carb bodies should be the same.

You can post in parts wanted, but I agree that you should post pics if possible or at least descriptions of the specific problems. Lots of carbs have been brought back from the dead.

This table might be helpful:

Comment

I am not in a place where I can put pics up but this guy works on nothing but the "vintage" bikes. He told me that the jets in the 3 carbs were buggered to the point it would take machine work to repair them (his words). I'll post more in the next day or 2 when I get it home.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
            I believe that your carbs are BS32SS models. The same carbs from 80-82 GS550s, 650s, 750s, and maybe 850s are the same model but the jets inside will be different (except for the 650 of course).
            Yes, they are pretty much the same carbs all the way through the 850, but spacing between the carbs is a bit different, especially between 2&3. The 750 and 850 carbs are a bit farther apart. It's not quite as simple as putting in a longer fuel T n the middle, you also need the different throttle arm.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ah, good call Steve. Luckily the 550 carbs will probably be the easiest to find!

The other problem would be with the OP's jets being buggered. You'll need to get the jets out of the 550 carbs intact, and would have to buy new ones since you won't be able to get the old ones out. OEM jets are highly recommended as the rebuild kit ones don't have a reputation for quality machining...

Comment

Working...
              X