petcock problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock problems.

taking petcock apart and cleaning and lubing with WD-40 seemed to work before but not for long before trouble came again. This is a picture of the back side of the offender put back the way it came apart. The bike is 1978 GS1000E am beginning to wonder if the vacuum tube is in the correct position.

Needed picture for reference, found it on ebay.

Comment

I doubt the orientation of the tube matters beyond its not interfering with the mounting of the tank or anything else.
      I suppose it could be causing the hose to kink.

Fiche at Alpha Sports show it pointed at about 2 o'clock

http://www.alpha-sports.com/spst/197...000C,EC/31.gif
      What is it doing?
      Worn out is worn out if you used a decent rebuild kit and it is still not working properly then do buy a replacement or else you will end up like Orr in Catch-22.

Tinker forever with a fuel tap. His was for a gasoline stove. But he eventually made it to safety in Sweden.

Sorry for the tangent, but fuel taps always take me back to Joseph Heller's only great novel.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2011, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Rotate that back cover counter clockwise 90 degrees.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          Rotate that back cover counter clockwise 90 degrees.
          Or............. you could rotate it clockwise 270 degrees! The vacuum tube should be at the 2 o'clock position. See if that helps and make sure you say a little prayer before you test it!
          sigpic
          Steve

Comment

Said the prayers cleaned and rotated but worn out is worn out. Will have to get a kit. The 2 o'clock position makes hose removal and installation a pain am wondering if all is right inside of petcock should position really matter?

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
              Said the prayers cleaned and rotated but worn out is worn out. Will have to get a kit. The 2 o'clock position makes hose removal and installation a pain am wondering if all is right inside of petcock should position really matter?
              It matters to the point where I don't think it has a chance of working properly unless all those little holes are lined up.
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

Working...
              X