Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock?

Hello

My Son purchased a 1982 GS550MZ with less than 10,000 original miles on it, we have been working on restoring it. It still needs some work but it's coming along.
    It runs good around town in stop and go traffic but on the freeway about 70mph it cuts out and dies, it can be restarted but it keeps happening to him.
    My son had the carbs rebuilt and we had to replace the control module because it had no spark at all.
    I think it's running out of fuel because of the petcock, any thoughts?
    Could I be right or should I keep looking?

Thanks for any input

Originally posted by gs_riders_dad View Post
    Hello

My Son purchased a 1982 GS550MZ with less than 10,000 original miles on it, we have been working on restoring it. It still needs some work but it's coming along.
    It runs good around town in stop and go traffic but on the freeway about 70mph it cuts out and dies, it can be restarted but it keeps happening to him.
    My son had the carbs rebuilt and we had to replace the control module because it had no spark at all.
    I think it's running out of fuel because of the petcock, any thoughts?
    Could I be right or should I keep looking?

Thanks for any input
    Follow the link to Basscliff's site (or wait for him to descend on you) and be amazed! Lots of stuff can go awry on these 30 year old bikes.
    "carbs rebuilt" ? - this is a dangerous expression on this site- just exactly what do you mean?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Just an easy suggestion, When it happens, Pop the gas cap and see if it starts.... or ride with it loose. If the vent is plugged it can starve for fuel after riding at higher speeds for prolonged periods.

Comment

Working...
      X