airbox sealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airbox sealing

Ok, so I have a 1980 850G and I've installed new air box boots and have a K&N filter in replacement of the old filter. My questions are these: when I bought the bike, I didn't have the old element in it, just the K&N, which was screwed haphazardly to the top. Do I need the old "filter-holder" thing that was originally in there?

Also, there is a built in giant opening in the back of the air box that i gather was for the snorkel, which obviously is not there any more. How should I deal with this, or is it important? The sides seal just fine, but is there a point with the big opening in the back?

Hi,

There is a "cage" assembly that holds the air filter and allows you to slide it into the airbox, securing it with a single screw on the left side of the bike. See: Air Intake Repair

You see there is a plate on the bottom of the filter which screws into the "cage" and holds the air filter in place. Then the assembly slides into a couple of rails on the ceiling of the airbox. Be sure the top of the "cage" assembly has new weatherstripping as well as the sides of the airbox. You want no leaks. See: Airbox Sealing

As for the snorkel, the bike wants to see a specific air/fuel mixture and removing the snorkel allows more air into the system. It should look like this:

You can try a ghetto fix and use duct tape to cover part of the gaping hole left when the snorkel is removed. But there will be some trial and error. Or you can try to pick up a used airbox (or snorkel) from Ebay or from a member here. Check the Parts for Sale section and post in the Parts Wanted section.

Have the jets been changed to compensate for the extra air intake?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

An excellent explanation. And you must keep it sealed; a lean condition will occur if you do not seal it up, lid and all.

Comment

!!!

Don't tell me the 78 gs750 has this "snorkel" piece too....?

Because if it does, then this explains a lot.

I just got done sealing the pants off that airbox, and it still runs Lean.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
          !!!

Don't tell me the 78 gs750 has this "snorkel" piece too....?
          Yes, the '78 GS750E and EC both have very similar aibox setups.

It looks like the snorkel is not a separate part, but you can see it on the back of the airbox in the parts fiche picture.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X