weird gas leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weird gas leak

alright guys second post here, i posted in the owners forum with an introduction and i have a problem, so my bike ('83 gs450l')s clutch cable snapped about a week ago and i just replaced it today, and so right after i replace it my bike starts to leak gas, but only when its running. im not shure where its leaking from although i have a suspicion its from the gas overflow tube any ideas? thanks any help is apreciated.

Follow the line down from the petcock. There will be two of them if you have the vacuum petcock (I think you do) and start there. Fuel will not flow if the bike is not running and the petcock is not in the PRIme position. Could be something as simple as a fuel line that needs replacing.

Comment

alright i just checked where it was leaking from, its a weird hose thing coming out of the right carb and its in the middle of the 2 carbs. and yea i have the vacuum petcock.

Comment

If the petcock is in the RUN or RES positions, you also have a petcock that is due for replacement. The line that you see dripping I assume is the carb vent hose. If this is indeed the case, your petcock is shot and is leaking fuel (that you would otherwise be burning if the bike were running) into the fuel tee and out the carb vent tube(s).

Is the "wierd hose thing" open on one end and connected to the carb, on the other?

Comment

If it's in the front of the carbs then that is your vacuum port to the petcock. The one to the back of the carbs is for the fuel.

It would be a good idea to put your bike info in your signature block and your location in your profile so we don't have to guess when giving info and we can even lend hands on help if possible/necessary.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

bear with my terrible explinations and spelling guys, its just coming off of the carb and going into no where its not really a hose its more like a little metal tube, it doesnt leak if its off in the prime position but thats all i checked. ill try and get a picture of it if i can find my camera.... so later.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
              If the petcock is in the RUN or RES positions, you also have a petcock that is due for replacement. The line that you see dripping I assume is the carb vent hose. If this is indeed the case, your petcock is shot and is leaking fuel (that you would otherwise be burning if the bike were running) into the fuel tee and out the carb vent tube(s).

Is the "wierd hose thing" open on one end and connected to the carb, on the other?
              He said it only leaks when bike is running.
              [and so right after i replace it my bike starts to leak gas, but only when its running.]
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

If it only does it when it is running YOU have a problem with the floats - It could be as simple as some dirt in the carb float needle or a bad O ring on the float valve

Comment

thats what im thinking, but the weird thing though is that a week ago it was fine and not leaking gas, but it sat for about a week, changed the cable and now it started to leak which is very weird. how should i go about fixing this problem?

Comment

alright so you can just call me resident stupid for not trying this first, it was a sticky float i hit the bowl on the carb with a screwdriver handel and it stoped leaking thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

alright ill look into it, will i need to sync my carbs after i do that? and will i need any special tools for it?

Comment

You'll want to get the Morgan Carbtune for it. However, you should FIRST clean the carbs, THEN adjust your valves, AND THEN synch the carbs. You'll have much better luck that way around.

Glad you figured it out.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

My bad...here I thought that clean carbs, was the starting point, of the discussion...

Comment

alright so a little update, i went on a nice little ride the other day then the next morning i got up, got all my gear on ready to go to work and bam, it was leaking again and it seemd like the battery was almost dead (i need to check something before i confirm it was actually dead) so i think it needs a cleaning, im a little intimidated as iv never actually worked on anything like this before.

Comment

Hi,

You need to go through the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome" and see to all of the repairs. Just about every item on those lists is critical to the proper (and safe) operation of your motorcycle. Skipping needed maintenance and taking shortcuts will leave you frustrated, standing on the side of the road.

Please click here for your "mega-welcome".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X