Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CV vacuum slide jet needle removal HOW!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV vacuum slide jet needle removal HOW!?

-82' GS1100

so i have the carbs broken down to install a stage 3 dynojet kit onto them. (K&N Pods & high flow exhaust). i know how to approach every single step and how to replace every single part EXCEPT for removing the vacuum slide jet needles! i can replace all the jets, o rings, and everything else no problem, but i dont want to force and break anything on the slides but i cant seem to get them out without forcing things. at this point i have the top of the carbs off and the slide assembly (slide cylinder, slide boot, the whole assembly out). i just cant get the freakin needle out either pushing it in or pulling it out. i have been looking for the past hour on basscliffs website on the cv rebuild guide and on other random threads on the GSResources and cant find any help on removing the needle out of the slide.
    can someone PLEASE HELP ME!

the pic below is what im trying to replace.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2011, 04:47 PM.

Next was changing the needles. The dynojet is the shiny silver one. My old stock needle is adjustable but doesn't taper near as much as the dyno. Reassemble using all the stock washers and spring, and put the dynojet washer over the E clip set in the 3rd slot from the top.

Make sure you have a Narrow set of circlip pliers, in order to remove the clip that holds the needle in the slide. The pliers with the large lobes will not fit. However, you can grind them down to fit Hold the needle compressing the spring with one hand while you place the clip.

Some have used thin needle nose.

Nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

niclpnut,

your reply has been immensely helpful. after some more tampering i had thought that was possibly the solution to my problem, but at the same time i didn't want to push my luck and break something that could possibly be a nightmare to fix.

i will try finding something that will "daintily" pinch that spring washer together so i can swap those suckers out. in the meantime ive already replace the main jets and am currently working on the rest of the bottom. once that's done im swappin' out the the air's and then moving on to the slides.

again, thanks for the help, i just needed someone to tell me the correct procedure before i trashed something.

P.S. - this is the first time i have FULLY rebuilt carbs, so any other advice on the rebuild process that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again niclpnut!
      Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2011, 11:38 AM.

Comment

no problem.

Just follow the rest of the DJ instructions and you should be good to go.

Use the correct bit when you drill the slides

Once you get it all back together, a bench sync will get you on the right track for the first fire up.

Remember, each engine is different, so consider the DJ kit tuning instructions to be a guide only. You'll probably have to fiddle with the needle/mixture screw settings.

This factory pro tuning guide is really helpful for CV carbs:

Be patient and you'll get it.

Also, alot of us with the 1100's step up the pilot jets to 47.5's Fairly common with the stage 3 kits.

Nic
        83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

When putting the circlip back in if you line up the plastic deal and pull the needle down, hold it with vice grips with plastic tape on the ends, then you dont have to hold it & fight the circlip in at the same time. I hope Ive explained what I mean so you understand it.

Comment

You really don't need the circlip at all since the plastic saddle is held down by the diaphragm spring. I took mine out when I raised the needles. My 900 Ninja used a similar setup to hold the needles in.
            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

The ones on my 1100s carb have a pin on the bottom of the plastic deal that the clip holds in that fits in a hole in the slide. How are you going to know the pin is in the slot. Id rather have the clip in , its real easy to do like I said. To each his own

Comment

Working...
              X