why no "off" position for petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why no "off" position for petcock?

If the best way to keep your carbs clean between rides would be shutting off the flow and burning whats left in the (fuel) line, why is there no off? I know other manufactures have an off position. Mine is working as intended just a quarry, if there's a thread addressing this a redirect is fine.

Thanks!

the petcock is always off unless the motor is running.
    In a perfect world that is.
    Vaccuum opens a bellows inside and the fuel flows.

You can retrofit a non-vaccuum unit go to Z1 enterprises and check out the Pingle units.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      the petcock is always off unless the motor is running.
      In a perfect world that is.
      Vaccuum opens a bellows inside and the fuel flows.

You can retrofit a non-vaccuum unit go to Z1 enterprises and check out the Pingle units.
      unless you leave it on prime!
      there is a mod if you take the front plate off and grind the little lug off on the top, then you can turn it to the 12 o'clock position which is a definate off position.
      you may have to shorten the lever itself to clear the fuel tank depending on what model you have
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by korrg View Post
        If the best way to keep your carbs clean between rides would be shutting off the flow and burning whats left in the (fuel) line, why is there no off? I know other manufactures have an off position. Mine is working as intended just a quarry, if there's a thread addressing this a redirect is fine.

Thanks!
        Many ways to explain it.

ON is really "automatic". Can be off or can be on. Engine vacuum opens it, and when engine is off the petcock is off. You can leave it that position untill you need reserve.
        RES is reserve operates the same as ON except takes fuel from lower in the tank. You can leave it in that position untill you fill tank back up.
        PRI is prime. Meaning it is on regardless of if engine running or not. Use this only when needed, but dont leave it there.

THe ones on other bikes that are on-off-res you should remeber to turn off when bike parked. Not for cleaning out carbs, but so if carb floats leak a little that dont flood the entire engine with gas.
        With the vacuum operated petccock you dont have to bother with remebering that.

Dave

Last edited by Redman; 07-23-2011, 11:32 AM.
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

...there is a mod if you take the front plate off and grind the little lug off on the top, then you can turn it to the 12 o'clock position which is a definate off position.
          you may have to shorten the lever itself to clear the fuel tank depending on what model you have

Agemax has it right. I use this mod when I have my fuel cell installed to double my range between gas stops. I leave the main tank at the 12 oclock off position, and run my fuel cell dry. When the fuel cell on the passenger seat is empty, then I turn the petcock to the on position as normal.
          It is a simple mod-all you need is a round file and a few minutes, to file off the tab that prevents the petcock handle from rotating. Otherwise everything stays as it is, with the option to turn the petcock off so no fuel can flow. Simple and cheap, and as far as Ican tell fool proof, as long as you remember to turn it on!

Comment

thanks, actually had it set on prime so glad I asked I have a "L" so lever would hit my tank in true off position, something to think about down the road I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by korrg View Post
              thanks, actually had it set on prime so glad I asked I have a "L" so lever would hit my tank in true off position, something to think about down the road I guess.
              just file off the end of the tap till it clears the tank. can make it a bit fiddly to use but if its in good condition and moves freely its not realy a problem
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
              X