Not really an issue, more a... quirk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really an issue, more a... quirk?

Bike's been running good since I got the stupid out of my system and fixed my issues. I had the tank and everything off to figure out my turn signal issues, route my throttle, and tidy everything up. I ran the carbs dry without the tank on as I was considering pulling them again. Put it all back together and wheel the beast outside this morning. Put it on the kickstand as I have the seat off at the moment. Kick it over <repeat about 17 times, finally it catches, hits 1500ish rpm and is purring.

Beautiful.

Wait. My choke is wide open, why is it sitting at 1500 and purring like a well tuned twin?

Cold air coming out of the right pipe.

Lean the bike upright, hear 3 and 4 start to catch and fire up.

Really? I guess it makes sense without the aid of a pump, that gravity would work against filling the carb bowls. Scared the crap out of me. Thought I had another "reassemble the bike and now it won't run" fiasco.

I put it back over on the kick stand and it puttered out after about 2 minutes. Am I to assume that these bikes don't run well (at all) on the side stand? Or do I have a fuel supply issue?

(See signature. Computer controlled fuel management/injectors is what I'm used to)

I'd say you have a fuel issue someplace. I start mine on the side stand all the time in the AM while I'm letting it warm up.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I suspect a loose connection to that coil or something that got "fixed" when you moved the bike off the sidestand, definitely should be no issues with idling on the sidestand as the carbs should suck fuel in regardless.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Unless your carbs are higher then the fuel tank when you put yor bike on the side stand you are having other issues. How much of an angle does your bike sit at on the side stand?

Comment

Hmm... Think I'll be getting in to my coils and seeing if I had a hot lead disconnect. Plugs were wet, and there was fuel in the bowls. After I straightened it up and ran it for a bit.

Just one more thing. Way I see it, the more I fix and replace, the less I have to worry about later on down the line. Right? RIGHT!?!?

Comment

Yep . That's right .
            Every little thing . Track it down and fix it properly . You'll run out of things to fix sooner than you think .
            Then you ride and ride and ride and ............

Cheers , Simon .
            http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Working...
            X