Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White smoke from airbox, and rough idle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White smoke from airbox, and rough idle.

Hello again,

After replacing my starter motor I have had some rather strange and concerning issues.

Firstly my air box is spitting up white smoke, that is streaming out of the breather pipe hose. (I have a a breather filter on the end)

Furthermore it idles strangely at around 3-4k, sometimes rising 1000rpms for no reason. Furthermore the carb adjustment only seems to be able to bring it down to 800, and then the motor just dies, there is no in-between state. Very strange.

Any advice?

Originally posted by scottmc View Post
    Hello again,

After replacing my starter motor I have had some rather strange and concerning issues.

Firstly my air box is spitting up white smoke, that is streaming out of the breather pipe hose. (I have a a breather filter on the end)

Furthermore it idles strangely at around 3-4k, sometimes rising 1000rpms for no reason. Furthermore the carb adjustment only seems to be able to bring it down to 800, and then the motor just dies, there is no in-between state. Very strange.

Any advice?
    I thought tightenning the starter motor cable resolved your problem! As I said in other forum, you disturbed the seal on the intake manifold and very likely have air leaks which typically cause a erratic idle. As far as white smoke stuff, I'd check for gas in crankcase oil from faulty petcock- make sure you got the hoses connected right at petcock.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Alright, so I should replace the possibly Bad O-rings on the intake boots? If this does no fix the problem then should I do a complete carb clean with new O-rings?

Anythings else to try?

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. scottmc,

There are critical tasks that must be completed in order to have a well-running machine. There are two lists in your "mega-welcome". Follow those lists and perform all the required tasks to ensure proper operation of your motorcycle.

Now let me dump a TON if information on you, and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi Mr. scottmc,

There are critical tasks that must be completed in order to have a well-running machine. There are two lists in your "mega-welcome". Follow those lists and perform all the required tasks to ensure proper operation of your motorcycle.

Now let me dump a TON if information on you, and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          I appreciate the welcome.

I am new to motorcycling, but also to mechanics. This site is a great help.

Comment

Working...
          X