cutting exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cutting exhaust

quick question here, if i cut the exhaust where the 2 pipes go into one, this will affect my bike?i.e back pressure 81 gs 750 thanks steve

Yes. Be prepared to mess around with jetting if you start cutting your 'zorst.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

thats what i thought, good thing i orderd a new jet kit, thanks

Comment

Running an open exhaust is a selfish thing to do. Please do not subject everyone you ride near with your bikes obnoxious noise.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ooohh yeah.

Might sound good at idle and low RPM, but once you get into the higher RPM's, it's gonna feel like your riding a childs dirt bike. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by rocksteveo View Post
            thats what i thought, good thing i orderd a new jet kit, thanks
            rockSteveo,

what's your plan here? I assume you are not planning on running an open exhaust. Are you eliminating a crossover, or creating a new routing for a 4 into 1? Just curious...
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by rocksteveo View Post
              if i cut the exhaust where the 2 pipes go into one, this will affect my bike?
              These are the effects:

Neighbors - Annoyed.

Other motorists - Annoyed, startled, disoriented, or frightened. (Do you really want to affect the cages this way?)

Law Enforcement - Their attention will be drawn to you like white on rice. (Do you really want that?)

Yourself - Hearing impaired and breathing exhaust.

Your bike - very minimal power gain, if at all, at the expense of a whole lot of noise. Kind of like certain V-twin aficionados.

Please do yourself and others a favor and reconsider cutting off your exhaust.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                Ooohh yeah.

Might sound good at idle and low RPM, but once you get into the higher RPM's, it's gonna feel like your riding a childs dirt bike. lol.

Gonna sound like it too.
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

There you guys go again, ruining someone's dream of being loud and obnoxious

You're just too judgmental, don't you know loud is cool?
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

my plan is to run straight pipes out the back, what i wanted to know is without baffles will the lack of backpressure affect engine running, and the straight pipes out the back really aint that loud .

Comment

Some of the guys on here don't like loud pipes - as you may have guessed! However, and this is only a personal opinion, for some reason the 750s and 850s in particular sound really crap and gutless if you just run straight pipes - irrespective of whether they are loud or not. Even popping those cheap bullet silencers on makes a lot of difference so my advice would be to make the cut after the joint and add a can.
                      Last edited by hampshirehog; 07-27-2011, 07:14 PM.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

My 650 was crap with a straight pipe. I opted for a pattern part 4-1 and drilled out the baffle at the back. Sounds really georgeous. Still rich in sound.

Only downside is the carb end. Mines waaaay too rich now lol

Comment

Yes it will affect back pressure and you will have to rejet.
                          Getting a Dynojet kit is the way to go with the adjustable jet needle but if you choose not to spend the money you will have to shim the needle and go up on the main jet and possibly the pilot jet.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The quieter the better. Just enough noise to gauge engine RPM.
                            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                            X