RPM increase when stopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM increase when stopping

My '82 GS850L normally idles between 1100 and 1500 rpm. After riding for a while, when the bike is fully warmed up, sometimes (not always), when I come to a stop, the bike idles between 2000 and 2500 rpm, unless I drop it into first gear, partially release the clutch lever, and put a light load on it. Then it settle back down where it should be. Blipping the throttle does not lower it. Checked the throttle cable all the way from the grip to the end, and can't find any kinks or problems. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Intake o-rings.

Comment

All intake O-rings and assorted parts are brand new within the year. One thing I forgot to mention, I did change out the buckhorn bars for GS-E style bars, and think the problem started after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
        All intake O-rings and assorted parts are brand new within the year. One thing I forgot to mention, I did change out the buckhorn bars for GS-E style bars, and think the problem started after that.
        Does "assorted parts" include the intake pipes ("boots")?

Handlebars should have nothing to do with a hanging idle.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I have a little of the same issue with the bars that I put on the 850 only it only does it when I turn them all the way to the right. I have tried nearly ALL cable positions that I can route, and it still does it. Not really sure why unless it is the excess cable length. I'm waiting for the end of the season and then replace the cable with a new one for a E.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
            I have a little of the same issue with the bars that I put on the 850 only it only does it when I turn them all the way to the right. I have tried nearly ALL cable positions that I can route, and it still does it. Not really sure why unless it is the excess cable length. I'm waiting for the end of the season and then replace the cable with a new one for a E.
            Adjust your cable at the bar Dave... It's too tight.

Comment

Yes Dogma, intake boots are brand new. I'm leaning more towards a mechanical bind, rather than an air/fuel issue. Same as Dave, but rpm's don't change at all on turns. Just occasionally when I come off the throttle. Changing handlebars left me with too much cable rather than too little, so I can't tell why the rpm's changing. Plus, once I put a little load, like I said above, it stays down where its supposed to be, until I accelerate and stop again.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Adjust your cable at the bar Dave... It's too tight.
                I'll give it another look. If that is the reason, I'll report back, with a HUGE grin.

Comment

I just ran the bike with the tank propped up, and there's really not that much excess throttle cable to really matter. The only time I could increase rpm's, is if I really tugged pretty hard on where the cable comes out of the black sheathing. Wiggling it made no difference at all. Now I'm thinking its not the cable at all, but its really no disaster either way.

Comment

Working...
                  X