Repairable or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairable or replace?

OK folks, I've just about finished getting the bike running but I have found that I have leaking carb boots. Is it possible to "repair" them w/ some shoe goo on the outside to seal them back up or should I replace them? If replace, then where can I go to get new ones for an 82 gs1100ez other than OEM for possibly cheaper than OEM?

Replace and get them from a dealer or Z1 (better to call them on that one). Look at the parts suppliers referenced on Basscliff's Welcome packet he gave you to shop around some.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

They are cracked so bad they leak or the clamps are stretched out and don't tighten?
      Get new clamps if it's the second. If cracked get some new ones. They still sell them.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        They are cracked so bad they leak or the clamps are stretched out and don't tighten?
        Get new clamps if it's the second. If cracked get some new ones. They still sell them.
        y'know, I didn't even think about the clamps themselves. Would buying ones from a local autoparts store be sufficient?

I haven't taken the boots off just yet to see if they are cracked, I just made an assumption . I think the clamps would be a cheap fix or at least a cheap attempt to fix. Thanks for the idea !

Comment

Yep, check those clamps.

An easy way to tell, is to first Look at them...are they tightened to the Max?
          Now loosen them slowly, just a little bit, and see if they move easily.
          If so....they're stretched and shot.

I got some stock ones from my suzuki dealer for like 50 cents a piece.
          They were just old new stock, laying in a box, taking up space.

If you're boots need repair, use RTV gasket maker by Permatex.
          That stuff literally works wonders, I've used it to seal exhaust leaks at the Head, and it sticks to the pipes well.

I've also used it to seal my airboxes up, and plugs EGR holes on cars.

Trust me, carb boots are expensive, most air leaks can be sealed up easily.
          But if your carb boots are Hard and non-flexible....THAT'S when you have a problem.
          (you can soak them in hot water or oil, you might revive them.)

Comment

Ok, I will have a chance on Sunday to take them off and fully inspect them, both the boots and clamps. If I can't get ahold of oem clamps locally or cheap, would some other ones at autopart stores be ok?

Comment

Why F around when new boots are less than $13 each?

PIPE, INTAKE RH 13111-49200 $12.40
              PIPE, INTAKE LH 13121-49200 $12.40

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Why F around when new boots are less than $13 each?

PIPE, INTAKE RH 13111-49200 $12.40
                PIPE, INTAKE LH 13121-49200 $12.40

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_secti...1980&fveh=2155

Thanks for the link but that's $50 that I can't really splurge on at the moment. I just want to make sure this is the last thing I need to get the engine running. I will eventually replace all the needed parts and do a rebuild but for now I just want it to run. Too long I have had many depressing moments with this bike and just want it to run on it's own.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenrilid View Post
                  Thanks for the link but that's $50 that I can't really splurge on at the moment. I just want to make sure this is the last thing I need to get the engine running. I will eventually replace all the needed parts and do a rebuild but for now I just want it to run. Too long I have had many depressing moments with this bike and just want it to run on it's own.
                  Okay then. Please exercise due diligence and check out the old boots to make sure they are okay to run before you frustrate yourself further or damage the bike..
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

well, the boots were hard and slightly cracked on the head side. I soaked them in some water to try to soften them up a bit then threw some shoe goo into the cracks to hopefully seal them up a bit to ensure this was the problem. I will be looking to buy some fresh ones w/in the next few days since I'm pretty sure that's what the issue is. Depending on how they look after the stuff dries I may not even try putting them on.

Comment

Hi, I feel your pain (more so actually) as boots for my 550 were $26.00 each and I'm still waiting for them! The RTV has helped in the meantime and I have it running but can't wait until the new boots arrive. Good Luck

Comment

I might have a set of used ones. Let me see if I can find them, be back in 10 minutes.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                          i might have a set of used ones. Let me see if i can find them, be back in 10 minutes.

sweetness!!

Comment

I do and you can! Have them of course.
                            These are fairly decent, just not new, new to you though. They didn't really needed replaced, but with the carbs off, I thought I'd do it.
                            I got the clamps too.

Now if you really want these, you'll have to PM me your name and address. I'll take care of the rest!

P.S. Has it been 10 minutes?
                            sigpic
                            Steve
                            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Now that's what I'm talking about!
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X