Stock Exhaust removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Exhaust removal

Hi all: First post. Recently acquired a mostly prisine '83 GS1110ED with about 16K miles. It was a great, stock canvas and I am trying to keep it as close to showroom as I can. I am attempting to remove the exhaust for cleaning and painting but am stuck--can't seem to get the middle two pipes and the connector box to budge. Is it just a question of how much WD40 and elbow grease I use or is there a technique I am not aware of?

Hey I figured it out. Remove the muffler brackets and the header clamps on the outboard exhausts and the whole thing will come off as a unit. The inner exhaust collector has now come free and I think it will be easier to reassemble by putting the inner pipes on and adding the mufflers later as per the shop manual.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. GlenT.,

I'm glad you got that figured out. For other stuff, let me point you in the right direction, dump a TON if information on you, and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Welcome to the forums!
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by GlenT. View Post
          Hi all: First post. Recently acquired a mostly prisine '83 GS1110ED with about 16K miles. It was a great, stock canvas and I am trying to keep it as close to showroom as I can. I am attempting to remove the exhaust for cleaning and painting but am stuck--can't seem to get the middle two pipes and the connector box to budge. Is it just a question of how much WD40 and elbow grease I use or is there a technique I am not aware of?
          Welcome aboard, you mnight want to try someone like jet hot for those pipes. The stock ones have a unique black chrome.

Ceramic Header Coatings by Jet-Hot improve the look and performance of your vehicle by reducing heat and corrosion. Learn why industry leaders recommend that you get your vehicle "Jet-Hotted".

Comment

Thanks all for the warm welcome and the tips. BTW, I hope nobody cringed when I mentioned painting the exhaust on my bike. Actually meant that I was painting the collector pipe and anything underneath that was rusted or otherwise corroded. The black chrome on the headers and mufflers is in great shape for it's age and I'm doing what I can to maintain it's original look.

Comment

Working...
            X