78 GS550 VM22 Body Stamp Really Matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS550 VM22 Body Stamp Really Matter?

Got a good deal on a 78 engine/carbs/box/coils/rectifier/regulator/parts for $100. I got it to put back into my 78 that currently has an 80 engine with CV carbs.

The engine and parts came from a garaged bike (I saw the pics, looked good, only about 6000 miles.)

Anyway, I've scoured the forums, found out what I need to know about main jets, secondary jets, etc.

I've torn down the carbs, they were pretty cruddy. The worst part were the broken pilot mixture screws jammed into the carb body. I've gotten these out before. Also, the floats are wormy and shot.

Here's my questions:

Does the Mikuni body stamp really matter? From the forums, it looks like the GS550 VM22 should be 47130.

My carbs are stamped 470-20. I have the #80 Main, the #50 secondary, and the #15 pilot jet, just like the spec table says.

I don't want to rebuild the carbs if they are the wrong ones. They are VM22's, with a 22mm bore. They "look" just like the carbs in my Clymer manual. They align and mount perfectly onto the intake boots and the airbox boots.

Are the 470-20 carb bodies gonna work?

Finally, I'm going to order the Oring kits. Maybe even the rebuild kits. I can re-taper the mixture screw needles (I've done it before in a pinch) What about floats? 3 out of 4 of my floats are toast. One completely split into 2. I have to replace them.

Where you guys getting floats these days?

Oh, I've rebuilt lots of carbs. If you recognize 2 of my bikes, you know I'm not scared of carbs.

Stu,
    Los Alamos, NM
    78 GS550
    79 Honda CBX
    79 Kawasaki KZ1300
    87 Cagiva Alazzurra (Ducati Pantah 650)

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. sbbloom69,

Suzuki GS Series Carb Specs <<Click.

Try partsnmore.com for floats. I think they'll have the best prices. But there are many more vendors in your "mega-welcome". Check with Z1Enterprises.com for OEM mixture screws. Just give them a call if you don't see it on their website.

Now let me dump a TON if information on you, and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have some floats for you. PM me if you want to discuss.

I've seen photos of people sharpening mixture screws before and I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi,
        Thanks for the replies. I followed the GS carb spec chart, and again, every jet part number I could find matches EXCEPT the Mikuni part number stamped onto the bodies. Mine are stamped:
        470-20, NOT 47110. Did these Mikuni 22mm carbs really come from a GS550? What else used a VM22 carb?

I'm willing to take the chance, but it's no fun trying to make "close" carbs work for a Japanese bike that are typically very specific and very finicky.

Stu

Comment

Hi,

I'm sorry I'm not familiar enough with the carb hardware stamps to answer your specific question. I can tell you that the part number for the '78 GS550 rack of carbs is 13200-47010, the individual carbs being 13201-47010, 13202-47010, 13203-47010, and 13204-47010. A search for part numbers ending in "47020" yielded results for pilot jets (#47.5 to be exact).

Floats should still be available from OEM vendors. Partshark.com and Z1Enterprises.com are my main vendors. Partsnmore.com may have them at a little better price. Shop around using the list in your "mega-welcome".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X