Backpressure is a myth???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backpressure is a myth???

So I was lucky enough to spend an hour talking to one of suzukis race mechanics at a local open day. He's worked on suzukis British superbike for years.

He was explaining that backpressure from a baffle is irrelevant to an exhausts performance. It's only an issue if you can't adjust the fuel side. Open pipes (assuming you get them right are the best way if only the race rules would allow it. No engine NEEDS backpressure to work. Actually a simple google search explains this very quickly.
    Suzuki use different pipe diameters to balance between velocity of flow and expansion volume to make the exhaust more efficient. This is why the header pipe is actually the most important part.the muffler can be removed with no adverse affects. Yes you will need to rejet etc to allow the balance to be restored but backpressure Has sweet f all to do with it.

Just thought I'd share what I'd learned with the group.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2011, 06:49 AM. Reason: Spelling corection

different story with 2 strokes though,
    the Harris race exhaust on my GS is completely void of back pressure and it runs sweet
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzyhair View Post
      Yes you will need to rejet etc to allow the balance to be restored but backpressure as sweet fa to do with it.
      I sorta agree with the general idea, but there seems to be a few letters missing from the highlighted area, so I don't really know for sure what you meant.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Physically Speaking the pipes need to offer as little back pressure as possible but offer a small enough space to force the exhaust gases to move as quickly as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzyhair View Post
          Physically Speaking the pipes need to offer as little back pressure as possible but offer a small enough space to force the exhaust gases to move as quickly as possible.
          True enough, but my question remains.

I am presuming there is an "h" missing from "as", making "has", but I don't understand the "fa".

If it is a texting shortcut for something vulgar, re-word it to something that the local nanny filters will let through.
          (I don't speak "text", I speak "Amurrican". )

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

FA is a very polite way of meaning "nothing"
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Edited it to f all lol

Comment

Then the next thing your know you're gonna try to tell us that open headers don't burn exhaust valves.
                -1980 GS1100 LT
                -1975 Honda cb750K
                -1972 Honda cl175
                - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Then the next thing your know you're gonna try to tell us that open headers don't burn exhaust valves.
                  No they don't, over heated valves from the resultant lean mixture is what burns them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                    how come drag bikes get away with it then?
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

I usually keep my mouth shut on things like this because they always end up being long-winded internet arguments (ie., 'Will the plane fly'?). The truth is, I've never understood how backpressure could possibly 'help' anything, with the exception of some scavenging advantages in a narrow set of situations. Now, properly-sized pipes, on the other hand, DO make a huge amount of difference. Too big of a pipe right outside of the exhaust port will create backpressuer, whereas a properly sized pipe will keep exhaust velocities up, lowering backpressure and even creating a scavenging vacuum behind exhaust pulses when tuned right.

And while I refuse to have the argument with anyone...no, it doesn't make any sense that open headers/pipes would burn exhaust valves. Unless, of course, you throw on free-flowing pipes that lean out your mixture to the point of burning valves, but that's a tuning issue, not a pipe issue.

Edit: I see that the others beat me to the punch on the burnt valve issue.
                      1982 GS1100GL (Sold :()(Retrieved!:pray:)
                      1978 GS1000C (Sold, to be revived by Chuck)
                      1979 GS1000EN (Parts Whore)
                      1979 GS1000C (Collecting Dust)
                      1980 GS750E (Sport-Touring Build...Someday?)
                      1981 GS750L (Abandoned Project...maybe?)
                      1982 GS750E (Collecting Dust)
                      1983 GS750T (This is becoming a problem...)
                      1981 GS650GL (Parts Whore / Cafe Donor)
                      1981 GS550L (Cafe Project)

Comment

For a race bike on a race track where max power through the powerband is all you care about, that's true. For a street bike that also needs to carburate well at low and midrange rpms some back pressure helps to even out the exhaust flow over a wider range and extend the torque curve for streetability. Both backpressure and pipe diameter can be used to control the speed of exhaust gas flow. It depends on the rpm range and powerband reqiremnets of intended use as to how much of which you would want to use. Too large a pipe diameter and no back pressure will make for a bike that will only run spot on at peak horsepower rpms and fall on it's face at lower rpms cause the gasses are moving to slow and prevent the combution chaimber fom scavenging efficietly. This makes for a bike that is very hard to jet correctly.

Comment

The idea is for exhaust gas to flow away from the port, at all RPMs, as quickly as possible. Backpressure does absolutely nothing to increase exhaust gas velocity...only heat, wall friction, and pipe diameter can.
                          1982 GS1100GL (Sold :()(Retrieved!:pray:)
                          1978 GS1000C (Sold, to be revived by Chuck)
                          1979 GS1000EN (Parts Whore)
                          1979 GS1000C (Collecting Dust)
                          1980 GS750E (Sport-Touring Build...Someday?)
                          1981 GS750L (Abandoned Project...maybe?)
                          1982 GS750E (Collecting Dust)
                          1983 GS750T (This is becoming a problem...)
                          1981 GS650GL (Parts Whore / Cafe Donor)
                          1981 GS550L (Cafe Project)

Comment

Originally posted by stahlgrau330 View Post
                            The idea is for exhaust gas to flow away from the port, at all RPMs, as quickly as possible. Backpressure does absolutely nothing to increase exhaust gas velocity...only heat, wall friction, and pipe diameter can.
                            unless its a 2stroke, then its a whole different pot of kippers
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by stahlgrau330 View Post

You wouldn't think so just from the term backpressure ... but it does.

By creating a restriction in the tailpipe you force the gases to speed up. Though it's not always obvious the gas flow in the pipe is not at a steady speed. the increased flow speed through that slightly restricted tailpipe, actually causes a vacuum in the header inbetween exhaust pulses at lower than max rpms and can actually boost midrange performance over a nonrestricted tailpipe. I've seen it work on the dyno, it's a fact.

Comment

Working...
                              X