GS750 Exhaust manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 Exhaust manifold

Can anyone tell me whether the exhaust in pipe is only held in place by the finned clamps or is the pipe pushed into the head? as i have a pipe that moves left to right about an inch

The end of the pipe is pulled in against an exhaust gasket in the cylinder head port by the two bolts for each header pipe. I would suggest the gasket is missing.

If you look at the attached link you will see how the header pipes fit into the cylinder head, just disregard the info on the modification that the thread is talking about. It is fitting a 550 header set to a 650 head so does not apply to your bike. But it will give you the idea.

Comment

Thank you for the info sir it does feel like something is either missing or corroded behingd the pipe

Comment

i took of the finned clamp off and the the exhaust had three gaskets in the hole two fat copper rounded type and one flat steel one, presumably these were not prized out previously and the manifold should have just one gasket?

Comment

Originally posted by ybot1966 View Post
          i took of the finned clamp off and the the exhaust had three gaskets in the hole two fat copper rounded type and one flat steel one, presumably these were not prized out previously and the manifold should have just one gasket?
          Yep. Copper O-ring type gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by ybot1966 View Post
            Exactly

Pull out those old ones and get 4 new ones (one for each hole, of course)
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I was looking to get new exhaust gaskets do these have to copper with rounded sides rather than the silver flat faced ones, i think the outer size is 46mm not sure what the inner Circumference is?

Comment

Working...
              X