82 1100g carb 34mm to 36mm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100g carb 34mm to 36mm?

hi i am new to your site and this is my first street bike. i poured over the site and found alot of info "much of it i don't fully understand yet". i am basically mechanically inclined and do all my own work on my various hot rod projects. at 50 i figured its time to jump in both feet on a bike project. i found a stock 82 gs 1100g in reasonable shape.it has been sitting for a couple years and needs some repair work and some serious cosmetic help. i had to rebuild the wiring harness. the guys dog ripped it to shreds. i have cleaned and coated the tank. then replaced the pitcock and fuel lines. the 34mm carbs are gummed up real bad and i was getting ready to rebuild them. i found a set of 36mm carbs with a stage 3 kit and kn filters off a running 1150 gs. clean and ready to bolt on. i do know the choke is an issue but other than that. i could use your thoughts on the swap. i am planing to keep the bike relatively stock maybe a header and some other bolt on mods.i just want a cool old school ride for the street. thanks

Welcome to GSR!
    With the modifications that you have planned, the carbs from the 1150 will work fine.
    Yes, you will probably need the thumb control and cable for the choke.
    Please list your location so that nearby members might be able to help and you might find some riding buddies as well.

Daniel

Comment

thanks daniel, the 36's are bead blasted,rebuilt,polished and working perfectly on the 1150. kinda hard to pass them up. i was guessing that with a little tuning they would work ok. i just don't know how tempermental these bikes are. i have seen guys install the oversize carbs on there cars and shoot themselves in the foot. also i added my location near tampa fl thanks for the tip.

Comment

The stage 3 kit for the 1150 might be a little FAT for your application.
        You will probably have to lower the jet needle a notch, install slightly smaller main jets and perhaps even a smaller pilot jet.
        Read the plugs after several plug chops.
        I might be doing the same 36CV mod to this project in the near future:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

After a little over 300 miles on it, I am still fine tuning the 34CV's for now.

Daniel

Comment

i have a set of efe 36's on my stock katana with a stage 3 and k&n's.... i needed to raise the needles a notch to get em a little richer in the middle but other than that it makes her pull much harder than the 34's.... choke wise.... you can just pull the choke slide a little manually and all is fine.... i didn't bother with a choke cable.

hth

Comment

hey daniel and sparki thanks for your imput! i bought the 36's today looking for a deal on a header maybe some better coils /wires. i will get the bike fired up make sure there are no major issues. then tear it all down and start bringing the bike back from the dead.i can't wait to get started in ernest. jerry

Comment

Working...
            X