Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sighs... Fuel/intake

Sunofbiscuiteater!

I bought my 1980 GS1000g about a year ago for $250 and I just recently started tearing into it.

First I started the bike up and right of the bat I noticed issues. Idle was erratic blah blah blah. It wanted to die on me even after warm up so I kept the choke half engaged and even then every time I would twist the throttle it would kill it. So I took off the airbox/carbs and looked into seeing what the issue/s were. Pilot jet on the number 3 carb was clogged. Also checked the butterfly valves to see if the bike was ever put on a carburetor sync. Carb 2 looks as though the butterfly valve is totally closed. This cant be right can it?

I decided to look at the intake boots and check the O rings.

I had hoped that the original-previous owner had done good on getting it properly maintained at a reputable dealer and or doing it himself using some common sense.

Well that wasn't the case. I hope the OPO didn't pay anyone for this work.

(When I had bought the bike I noticed the intake boot on cyl 1 was in bad shape) Dang...

Looks like whoever did the maintenance on this bike was a nut. May as well used bubble gum and duct tape. They used epoxy to seal the boot and now it had become brittle and cracked. They also used RTV on every boot which was a huge warning sign to me.

I don't understand how this could be considered a sealed fuel system by any tech or any person with some simple common sense. Amazing.

Looks like some kind of film gasket and cork/felt exhaust gasket coupled with RTV

Check out my awesome RTV intake boot O rings.

Why would anyone do this?

Well I just had to share with everybody what I'm going through. Been reading Bikecliff's website like crazy and I am about to order everything from Mr. Barr's website as well. No doubt new intake boots are in order(even though the other 3 have flex to them). Carb tear down/dip/rebuild. Weatherstrip airbox. Can I get just the float bowl gaskets anywhere?

I am totally new to working on motorcycles so if anyone has any advice/prayers. Anything is much appreciated.

Thank you all for your time in advance.

~GSJohnny

Hang in there, Johnny. There are lots of "mechanics" out there, few of which no how to or want to work on old UJM's.

Put her back the way she was designed and you'll lover yourself for it.

You'll really love the bike, as a result ! ! !

Comment

You have got a head start on plenty of the projects that have been tackled by members of this forum.
      Yours will be an easy fix.
      Hang in there and you will be rewarded with a very fine ride.

Daniel

Comment

At least they made gaskets to go with the silicon

Comment

Agreed -- not difficult to fix at all.

For $250, you done did stole that bike -- now you're doing the right thing and putting a couple hundred more into her.

It's still going to be a steal -- a GS that runs right is such a beautiful thing...

You can buy float bowl gaskets from your favorite source for OEM Suzuki parts, from Z1enterprises.com , Cycle Recycle II, and a few others. (Avoid Old Bike Barn -- they're well-known deadbeats.)

One thing I'll mention, because it's very strange the first time you see it: if your bike is leaking fuel and/or peeing gas out the airbox, it's a bad petcock. Mung from inside the petcock breaks loose, gets into the carbs, and props open the float needles.

Oh, and seal your airbox with weatherstripping -- poke around here and on Basscliff's site for instructions.
          Last edited by bwringer; 08-02-2011, 10:15 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Despite its issues I would have to agree with you bwringer. And thank you for the sources.

I am sure I'll have more questions once all the parts come in.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

~GSJohnny

Comment

I forgot to mention earlier. When I had the bike running I could actually see the header pipe chrome start to yellow. What caused this and how can I stop it from happening again?

Thank you

~GSJohnny

Comment

Hey Johnny, looks like you got a head start there and are going about things the right way, like everyone said, you will be glad you did, these are things of immense pleasure when running right.
                I have owned my 1000G since '82 and I love it, I am busy rebuilding her because I would rather keep riding her than buy a new bike.
                the yellowing of the headers is caused by exessive heat from to lean a mixture, due to the intake leaks.
                I agree with Bringer, that is a nice looking bike you got there, good buy, you stole that one.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments and the knowledge Flyboy. Would love to see pictures of your GS.

I have the whole lot ordered from the good Mr. Barr's website

Also did some cosmetic stuff to it.

Link to the projects forum

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

~GSJohnny

Comment

Working...
                  X