Airbox or pods? Your thoughts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox or pods? Your thoughts....

Just looked at an '82 1100E for sale down the road from me. Looks good, fired right, seemed to run well. 19k, all there (almost) and looks like it's only about a day's worth of detailing from being 'pretty nice'.

The only thing missing is the airbox. The bike Currently has individual pod filters, and they're dirty and look like crap. A quick check on ebay reveals replacement K&N pods for $115-ish, maybe less elsewhere. Ebay also shows a complete '83 airbox (I assume they're the same as the '82), looks to be a two-piece job with all the rubber boots intact and pliable (they claim). They're asking $95 for the airbox.

The questions - Stay with pods or go back to an airbox (I'm not sure about the current jetting)? If pods, are the K&N the way to go, or is there something better out there? Any leads on the cheapest place to get the 'good ones'? If the airbox is the ticket, is $95 the right price? Too high? Anyone got one for sale? What filter to go inside, K&N or stock?

Wrong forum, but might as well ask, the bike also needs a seat cover. It's nice overall, but split acorss the front by the tank where they all split. What's the hot ticket for a seat cover, or is there a 'guy' who does a top notch recovering job?

Thanks for any tips or leads, guys. I'm 'thinking it over' for the night, and am going to make the guy an offer tomorrow. Just starting to put the wheels in motion to clear up the dreaded 'previous owner' problems every bike seems to have.

I hate pods. They require fussing with the jetting, don't filter as well as a stock filter, make extra noise, reduce the value of an otherwise stock bike, and look just plain ugly. Yes, I'm opinionated.

And $95 is more than double what that airbox is worth. There are tons of people that took them off for pods so finding one shouldn't be overly hard. Posting in the Parts Wanted forum might fill your need.

Good luck
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Ed. I know some CV carbs do OK with pods, and other turn into a real problem with them, so that's why I wanted to check before taking the easy way out and putting new pods on there. I took your suggestion and posted in the parts wanted forum.

All of that aside, they just didn't look right on the bike. I think the body work is too 'swoopy' for the pods. They look good on older inline fours, with the more traditional seperate tank and sidecovers, but with the integrated ones on the E model, I didn't like the look.

I'll post some pics of the bike if I end up bringing it home.

Comment

I think pods are great, IF you're running WOT. Bought my bike with them on it, and anywhere besides that was a nightmare. Sidewinds, leg position, truck drafting, all played havoc with a steady idle.
        Drag bike- probably nothing better.

Comment

Squid + Pods = Genius!

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          I hate pods. They require fussing with the jetting, don't filter as well as a stock filter, make extra noise, reduce the value of an otherwise stock bike, and look just plain ugly. Yes, I'm opinionated.
          I gotta agree with that, but with some of my own words…

So what kind of guy thinks he's got more smarts than the factory engineers?
          Maybe they should send their resume to Suzuki, or at least Briggs & Stratton…

It's really amazing when these genius squids put pods on a GSXR!

Bill
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-03-2011, 07:05 AM. Reason: Hold my beer, and watch this…
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Pods and a pipe go together, along with a DynaJet kit. If you don't do all 3, don't do anything. Pods are louder, as is the pipe.
            If you want an airbox, purchase a new OEM from an on-line vendor such as partshark. If you purchase a used one, replace the rubber tubes; they are 30 years old and most likely hard as a rock. I paid ~$100 for a brand new one, and it was complete with everything except the clamps. You will also need a filter box and filter along with the connecting tube and clamps. The lid is no longer available so you will have to fashion one yourself.
            You can post in the parts wanted section here also.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              I gotta agree with that, but with some of my own words…

So what kind of guy thinks he's got more smarts than the factory engineers?
              Maybe they should send their resume to Suzuki, or at least Briggs & Stratton…

It's really amazing when these genius squids put pods on a GSXR!

Bill
              I can't agree with this at all. The factory engineers were restricted by regulations. It is a proven fact that pods, a pipe and a jet kit will increase horsepower when jetted correctly.

Comment

check out the carbs first before you make a decision. if they have already been jetted for pods then you will have to rejet them again if you revert back to the standard airbox. what exhaust is on the bike?
                if you decide on pods then k&n is the only way to go
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

As long as it is set up right, it will run great with pods...
                  My 1100E came with pods and a pipe...once I added the Stage 3 DynoJet kit it runs just great...

Pods are also nice when you work on the bike...easy on, easy off...unlike the air box and give you lots of room to work, get to the battery and other stuff...
                  And...you gain under seat space for extra parts or tools....

FYI...APE sells a decent set of pods $59.95...I replaced my beat up K&Ns with them...
                  Part way down this page:
                  Last edited by Baatfam; 08-03-2011, 07:50 AM.
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Why don't you just clean the pods that are on the bike? A K&N recharge kit is only around $12.
                    -1980 GS1100 LT
                    -1975 Honda cb750K
                    -1972 Honda cl175
                    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Baatfam, I couldn't agree more about ease of working on it. My GS is 100% stock as you know, and working anywhere around the carbs or under the seat is excruciating. And yeah, the APEs are certainly cheaper. The main thing is to have oiled pods; the oil helps filter the crud out of the intake air.
                      Tom R, it depends on if they are K&Ns (or APEs). If they are Emgos they are junk when new and must be replaced.
                      Agemax, you are correct.
                      kawfeedave, I put a K&N in my stock airbox and did not require any jetting changes. If it does run well it may have already been rejetted. If not, it usually runs too lean. Although I have read about people making Emgos more restrictive in an attempt to bypass rejetting.

Comment

Restrictions?

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                        I can't agree with this at all. The factory engineers were restricted by regulations.
                        Restrictions like, producing a bike that works very well in all conditions and weather, in order to maintain a high profit for Suzuki and it's share holders.
                        It's a proven fact that not doing so will bring bankruptcy.
                        Bill
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Pods, for sure on a cafe racer, hot rod, project bike to tinker with, hugely modified engine, bobbers, choppers, rat bikes or street fighters, or on a home made race bike, absolutely.

For something to run perfectly for hours, days, years and to ride many many miles without any hassle, giving great all around performance and fuel mileage, in all weather conditions and elevations, give me a stock intake system any day.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                            Restrictions like, producing a bike that works very well in all conditions and weather, in order to maintain a high profit for Suzuki and it's share holders.
                            It's a proven fact that not doing so will bring bankruptcy.
                            Bill

How about restrictions like noise, emissions, etc.? For example, my 83 GS1100E had a slight flat spot right off idle. I did the washer mod to the carbs and it is gone. I have been told it was done for emissions (CARB most likely). And my GPz is significantly louder than stock. I did not like it at first, although I like the sound now. I prefer a quiet bike that goes fast, but it most certainly goes faster now than it did before the mods.
                            To deny that there is a power increase is just plain silly; that is why most people do the mods.
                            Jeez.
                            And no carbureted bike will run perfectly at all elevations; it takes fuel injection and a computer to adjust to the different air densities.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              And no carbureted bike will run perfectly at all elevations; it takes fuel injection and a computer to adjust to the different air densities.
                              Maybe not perfectly, as in exhaust analyzer perfect, but CV bikes with stock airboxes do pretty well. I have several that run well enough up to 14,000 feet that I can't tell the difference other than slightly reduced power output. They start right up, idle well, great throttle response, good powerband, smooth. There just isn't enough air to make as much power as at Sea Level. You can ride them completely normally, no feathering the throttle or any of that nonsense that is required on mechanical slide type carburetors. They run as well up high as my fuel injected BMW.
                              The elevation compensation part of the CV design works very well, as long as the entire system is as it was designed, with no pods, pipes, enlarged intakes or goofy jetting.

You are more than welcome to come on out and try my bikes on some 13,000' and 14,000' roads.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X