Dented header and exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dented header and exhaust question

can someone here have a look at the pics and let me know your thoughts. the header is smashed up pretty good, wondering if i should repair or replace? i dont think it will affect overall performance. not sure what the previous owner put on as far as exhaust pipes but im sure im in need of a jetting change. im sure the carb is all stock, bike runs well up to 7000rpm then flutters the rest of the way up. i have on the stock airbox. i am in the process of adjusting the valves and replacing orings for carb manifolds and carbs. while im into the carbs i was thinking of going up a size in the mains moving the needle jet down a notch? i pulled the plugs after a ride and they were slightly on the lean side. i know i got some work to do but i would like to know thoughts on the exhaust setup. thanks

only 1 pic per post allowed?

Comment

heres the 3rd pic, sorry, but this is the only way i know how to put up more than one pic.

Comment

Replace. You should be able to find the inner pipe with ease, either here or on FleaBay.

Comment

Use a photo hosting site like Photobucket or, heaven forbid, imageshack. You can post up to ten photos per thread. See Basscliff's site for instructions.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It looks to me like a boom tube welded to the stock header. Lean no wonder, it is straight through without restriction except from the dented header.

Comment

just wondering if i should change the main jet size up a size when i have the carbs off? really need some help

Comment

Won't know until you get the thing back on the road (or dyno if you could be so lucky) as it will need to be sorted, depending on what you decide to do with the exhaust.

Comment

This may work on that header http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...p?t=172203.Did a nice job on the one I had.

Comment

thanks for the help. I will have to aquire such a tool. anyone know the id of the header pipe is on a 550LZ?
                    Looks like the real hard part of this project will be taking the headers off. I guess i better start spraying with liquid wrench

Anyone got ideas for jetting, dont think i need needles just a few sizes up on mains. stock i believe is
                    Mikuni N100.604 Large Round Main Jet
                    9mm in length with a 8mm Round Head

size 92.5.

I would like to get right the first time was thinking 95 or 97.5 or ever 100. the needle jet should have the notches, so making it a notch or two richer will be no problem. these carbs are a pain to remove and repalce.

I wish there was a "jet club" like the shim club.

Comment

you will not get it right first time, it is a case of trial and error. you need to RAISE the needles to richen the mixture
                      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Need header ID

If anyone knows the id of the stock header, i would appreciate it. i will be making a tool based on texasgs design. i would like to have the tool made before i take the exhaust off so there will be less downtime. just need to know the size of ball bearing to buy to shove up the header.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                          you will not get it right first time, it is a case of trial and error. you need to RAISE the needles to richen the mixture
                          There are times where we can suggest jet sizes, but those suggestions would be based on experience.
                          For example: with stock airbox and XXX header, go this many sizes larger. For pods and a header, go that many sizes.

You mentioned that you have the stock airbox, but those pipes are another matter.
                          They sort of appear to be rather free-flowing, but what's that thing that is stuck in there?

There is simply no way to tell how much the air flow is hindered by that device, so jetting will definitely have to be trial and error.

Agemax has it right, you will need to RAISE your needle. Normally, you would lower the clip to raise the needle (it has a spring that pushes it UP, against a stop), but your needles don't have but one groove for the clip. The good news is that there is a thick nylon spacer above the clip. Remove the spacer and replace it with a couple of thinner metal washers to raise the needle. The washer assortment at Radio Shack is a favorite source. Just use the smallest washers in there. Four washers are about the thickness of the nylon spacer, so start with two washers to raise the needle.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Adam, sorry i can't help you with the inner diameter of the pipe but if you do find it beyond repair Peterborough Cycle Salvage is in your neighbourhood. I have bought a couple of things from them over the years and found them to be helpful.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Jet Club??

Originally posted by adam kinmond View Post
                              I wish there was a "jet club" like the shim club.
                              Adjusting the jetting is kind of like adjusting artillery fire - you got to keep adjusting it until you finally zero in on the target. Unless of course you happen to be one of the "gifted" ones who can get it right with one adjustment. And if you have to adjust all five components (mains, pilot, needles, needle jet, and air bleeds) multiple times it gets real expensive real quick!

I think that is a GREAT idea! Dialing in my RS36's took a couple of adjustments to the pilot, needles and mains until I got it to where the engine was happy. Wasn't cheap either, spent about $140 on jets and needles!

Comment

Working...
                              X