Dented header and exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    There are times where we can suggest jet sizes, but those suggestions would be based on experience.
    For example: with stock airbox and XXX header, go this many sizes larger. For pods and a header, go that many sizes.

You mentioned that you have the stock airbox, but those pipes are another matter.
    They sort of appear to be rather free-flowing, but what's that thing that is stuck in there?

There is simply no way to tell how much the air flow is hindered by that device, so jetting will definitely have to be trial and error.

Agemax has it right, you will need to RAISE your needle. Normally, you would lower the clip to raise the needle (it has a spring that pushes it UP, against a stop), but your needles don't have but one groove for the clip. The good news is that there is a thick nylon spacer above the clip. Remove the spacer and replace it with a couple of thinner metal washers to raise the needle. The washer assortment at Radio Shack is a favorite source. Just use the smallest washers in there. Four washers are about the thickness of the nylon spacer, so start with two washers to raise the needle.

the thing stuck in there is just a chunk of metal bolted through the pipe, its easily removable. i can only imagine that its there for some sort of restriction. since my bike is the canadian version there are 5 groves in the needles. my first wack at jetting is going to be moving the needles to the richest setting and two sizes up on the mains ( 92.5 to 97.5)

Comment

Originally posted by adam kinmond View Post
      the thing stuck in there is just a chunk of metal bolted through the pipe, its easily removable. i can only imagine that its there for some sort of restriction. since my bike is the canadian version there are 5 groves in the needles. my first wack at jetting is going to be moving the needles to the richest setting and two sizes up on the mains ( 92.5 to 97.5)
      OK, I missed the part where it would be a Canadian bike.

Depending how restrictive that "thing" is, two sizes on the jets might get you into the ballpark, don't be surprised if you need to go four or five.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X