What threadlocker for exhaust studs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What threadlocker for exhaust studs?

I have a set of exhaust studs I am planning on installing over the weekend and was wondering what locker to use? I currently have a tube of blue but I was unsure if it would hold up to the heat? I know they make a high-temp red so this could be better.

I install them with anti-sieze. You just may want to replace one some day.
    And I use only Grade 12.9 studs.

Daniel

Comment

Locker on a bolt in a high heat area seems wrong to me. They get stuck well enough on their own.

White milk of magnesisa apparenlty in a cheap anti-seize per the USAF.

Comment

I'll second the anti seize! They'll be impossible to remove as it is without extra hold.

Comment

Either the copper or silver anti-seize. I use Permatex. Usually the silver for that, I save the copper for steel/aluminum applications. But that't because I have both. If you have none and only want one, get the copper.

Comment

Agreed. Don't locktite them in....what if one breaks somehow and you want to remove it ??
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

No Loctite. Anti-sieze only. Tension on the threads when you torque the nuts will keep them in place. What studs are you using? Will be replacing mine soon.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2011, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I have a collection of 2 different size Grade 12.9 studs that I use in my Suzuki projects.
                For stock exhaust pipes and after-market.
                I was going to offer them for sale if anyone here needs them.
                I will have to check but I believe that I pay about $1.50 each for them.
                PM me with the sizes that you are looking for and I either have them or can get them ASAP.
                Remember to first tap the stud holes to a depth of 20mm before installation.

Daniel

Comment

Ive never had a problem with nothing on them but definetly no locktite. You arent riding a Harley. Yes, I own one & locktite every thing on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X