air puffing out of carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tenrilid View Post
    No, you got it. Would it make that much of a difference with it being all the way in? I just figured it would idle high.
    Hold on. Let's just start over.

Turn the idle adjustment screw counter-clockwise until the screw does not touch the throttle plate on the carbs. Then turn that screw clockwise 2-3 full turns.

Comment

Ok, so start where it just contacts the throttle plate then go 2-3 turns in?

Comment

Ok, so start where it just contacts the throttle plate then go 2-3 turns in?
        yes

Comment

KK. I may not be able to try it out til tomorrow or sunday but I'll post the results once I try it. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

KK. I may not be able to try it out til tomorrow or sunday but I'll post the results once I try it. Thanks again for the help.
            Alrighty! I know that there are a few GSR members in the Texas area. russr33, chuck hahn, and JWhelan are a few of them. Maybe you guys can check it out .

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
              Setting your valves and cams takes only a day. Look at me. I'm a noob. I did those two on one day and the bike runs great where as before it was backfiring like crazy (part of the problem was the coil wiring ). You can do it!

oh and you never checked the timing

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                oh and you never checked the timing
                Yeah. Maybe you should check the valves and timing before running the bike. It's really easy actually. Just takes some time loosening all of those bolts and stuff.

Comment

No, you got it. Would it make that much of a difference with it being all the way in? I just figured it would idle high.
                  OK READ THE ****ing mega-welcome and do the things that it states as paramount in sequence.

Your problems are like all the others ( cause all the others work on the same foible laden ancient mechanisms.) Do the work set the valve celan teh carbs and then be befuddled oer the pervesity of the reality of a 30 something bike.

Comment

Try a simple check as well, are the HT leads going to the correct cylinders?

If you have 2 in the wrong place it can behave like yours.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by cleiper View Post
                      Try a simple check as well, are the HT leads going to the correct cylinders?

If you have 2 in the wrong place it can behave like yours.

Good luck!
                      Man that happened to me! Backfired like crazy...

Do this simple check. Pull the gas tank off and look at where the sparkplug wires are going.

Coil number 1 (left) should go to cylinders 1 and 4. Coil number 2 (right) goes to cylinders 2 and 3.

And check the coils wiring as well! Coil number 1 should have an orange/white and white wire going to it.

And coil number 2 should have black/yellow and orange/white going to it.

For me, the coil wires were in the wrong spots and this is what was happening.
                      I checked the cam timing and it was way off. No wonder it wouldn't run.... Adjusted the timing and now at least it backfires.... HA!

Put the wires in the correct spots and it runs great. Not saying this is your problem but worth a check and at least eliminate the possibility.

Comment

OH, the coils and wires are all exactly where they need to be. I've even pulled the plugs out and made sure the proper ones were firing when they needed to.

Comment

Great news everyone, the beast started!! Made some adjustments to the idle screw and that was the magic key! Now, I just need to get my inspection and regristration and I will be on the road. I want to thank everyone who has helped me in this journey. I suppose next step is to make sure the charging system is good before I take any long trips lol!

Comment

Great news everyone, the beast started!! Made some adjustments to the idle screw and that was the magic key! Now, I just need to get my inspection and regristration and I will be on the road. I want to thank everyone who has helped me in this journey. I suppose next step is to make sure the charging system is good before I take any long trips lol!
                            That's great! You owe me a cookie .

I'm still working on my GS1100E. It runs great but none of the damn lights work except for the headlight. I won't register mine until that's fixed.

Enjoy that bike .

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
                              That's great! You owe me a cookie .

I'm still working on my GS1100E. It runs great but none of the damn lights work except for the headlight. I won't register mine until that's fixed.

Enjoy that bike .
                              Yes, yes I do lol! All of my electronics have always worked except for my horn which was fixed promptly w/ a new relay and contact cleaning. Hell, even my gear indicator display works great lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X