Painted bike now getting a backfire + wont idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painted bike now getting a backfire + wont idle

I just painted my wheels, engine mid, and exhaust, and now the bike wont idles low and almost imeddiately dies if I do not give it gas. Everything was working perfect before I painted. I did take off the exhuast to paint them Is it possible some paint got into the exhaust intakes? I taped them off when I painted around them (engine mid area).

At any rate needing some advice! If I can just paint theinner the paint off to fix the problem I'm fine with that.
    Thanks for your help

Update: I believe for whatever reason the bolts bolting on the exhausts (2 for each) are causing air to seep through making it run lean. I feel a tad bit of air seeping through... EEK! Hopefully Auto Zone has some sort of gasket sealer.

Comment

A little exhaust leak shouldn't cause that. Bike wasn't sitting in the sun while you were doing the painting was it. It doesn't take long. Mine was in a garage for three weeks while painting was done and the carbs gave me a bit of a problem. In the sun, it would only be a matter of days. You can get exhaust gaskets here: http://www.z1enterprises.com/Exhaust...1150-1596.aspx
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

What did you do to fix the issue if its the carbs? I put in some Sea Foam

Comment

Update:
          Got the exhaust down tight no leaks that I can notice. Checked the air filter and there is a definite paint smell emitting. Should I go ahead and change the air filter? I luckily have one handy.

I think I'm going to do that and let it air out for a few days as well as use sea form to clean out the carbs.
          Lemme know if you have any other additional ideas.

Comment

Have you checked to see if perhaps the choke cable got snagged and is keeping them open, that would mess with your idle.

If you are worried about air leaks on the carb side of the block try spraying some light oil around the joints to see if it improves for a moment.

Are their any backfires etc? May be that 2 of the HT leads are on an incorrect cylinder during re-assy after the paint job!?

If you can get it to run, clean the plugs and take it for a blast to check the colour afterward, speaks volumes about what's going on.

Good luck!

Comment

In my case Seafoam worked, but My bike is an every day rider with the carbs having been rebuilt within the year, and a new fuel tank. If yours were marginal and the bike sat in the sun for several days or more without being run, or having stabilizer in the fuel, it might be your turn for a carb rebuild. If you have a new filter and the old one is dirty, change it. Did tightening the exhaust leaks fix the problem?
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
              X