Carb hose connection locations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb hose connection locations?

I need some help with re attaching the carburetor hoses back where they belong. Mainly just the two that originate from in between carb# 1 and 2, and the one between 3 and 4. When I took it all apart I can't remember if they were attached to anything at all which may explain why I couldn't start the engine. Searching as best as I can online, taking a lightly educated guess I think they're supposed to connect to the air box somewhere. However I just don't see connections on there or anywhere else for these hoses to go.

Further more, this whole process of taking the carbs out and apart has been detrimental to the old ego. Fact of the matter is, I thought I had a pretty good understanding of how a carburetor works. Now that I've been through this I understand less than I thought I did. Does anyone know of a learning tool that explains it all, perhaps a good web animation? And I mean a good explanation that shows everything from the choke action to the forces of suction in all directions and whatever else.

Hi,

The answers to these questions are on my website.

Yes, I'm feeling lazy tonight. So sue me.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing you don't have a 450, but beyond that, we're all in the dark.

WHAT BIKE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Cliff's site is a gold mine of info. There is a "Where do these hoses go?" link on there. If that doesn't answer it, we need to know what kind of bike it is before an answer can be given.

You probably do have decent idea how a carb works, it's just that when you open it up and see about 783 different passages and jets, it SEEMS a little more complicated. It's not. Different jets open up as you increase through the RPM range to let more fuel in. Where one jet stops feeding, another starts to open up and pickup where that one left off. In the end it's still just a matter of atomizing fuel and air and feeding it to the cylinders.

Comment

I neglected to mention the model of the bike. It is an 850. Now for those links...

Comment

Originally posted by Supernaut View Post
            Now for those links...
            Allow me to scroll down to Cliff's sig and click it for you: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...locations.html

Comment

It was the vent hoses that had me mostly confused. So these just hang down and vent to outside air?

Comment

Yep. I draped mine over the air box and back by the swing arm just to keep them tidy.

Comment

It was the vent hoses that had me mostly confused. So these just hang down and vent to outside air?
                  Some of the smaller bikes have hoops on top of the air box to hold the vent hoses in place under the seat, most of the 850s I have seen just have the hoses draped over the airbox, ending near the battery.

The whole idea is to have them ending in non-turbulent air, so they provide a smooth, constant pressure reference for the carbs.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I neglected to mention the model of the bike. It is an 850. Now for those links...
                    Now that you know why we keep asking for your bike model, why not put it in your signature, like most everybody else?

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                    X