Carb HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb HELP!!

So I've been working on my 80 GS550 bobber project. Got it running since two carbs weren't getting fuel. Little history needed. I checked the floats by placing them in a bowl with fuel. The all floated about with about the 1/3 staying above fuel level. Took all the needles out and used valve lapping material and a q tip to clean the insides out a little. Reassemblied everything and bike fires up but if you rev it the two right carbs start spitting fuel out. Now the screws on the right side of the carb inlet are the air screws correct? Then are screwed all the way in currently (it's how i got it if it's not supposed to be).

So what's my issue do you guys think? think the needles aren't working? They seemed to spring ok. Floats are set currently at 25 from the lowest point where the bowl sits.

Please help! I want to get some miles on this baby!!

Originally posted by TeamRiceRacing View Post
    So what's my issue do you guys think?
    Your issue, as I see it, is that you need to clean your carbs. CORRECTLY.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Have you checked the valve clearances yet?!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Your issue, as I see it, is that you need to clean your carbs. CORRECTLY.

Indeed. They need to be fully disassembled, the Orings inside need replaced and the bodies and float bowls need soaked in carb dip, rinsed, the passages sprayed with carb and choke cleaner, the small holes innthe jets and emulsion tubes cleaned out with a strand of copper wire, then blasted with compressed air (all passages). New Orings need to be installed and the float heights re-set and then reassembled.

THEN you can start tuning them. But if ya don't do that, you'll never get it to run right. There are no short cuts.

Btw if you have adjustment screws on the sides and ones on the bottom as well, (the ones on the side would be pilot air screws, the ones on the bottom would-be pilot fuel screws) then you have VM series mechanical slide carbs with an accelerator pump (VM22SS) and you don't have an 80 550. You have a 79.
        But if you only have adjustment screws on the top of the carbs, then you have BS32SS vacuum slide carbs, and it would be an 80. A pic of them would tell for sure, but adjustment screws on the side of the carbs makes me think you have VMs ..

Comment

Here is my carb....I cleaned every corner of the carbs out. Not new to cleaning carbs, but new to motorcycles. It's not the nicest bike, but a good start for my first build..

Here's a page I have with more photos of it.

Comment

Yea those are the BS style. If you really want to check your floats, there is a tool that screws into the drain hole and it just fills with fuel and you hold it up to see where your fuel level sits. Simple stuff. If you're savvy you could make one, or I'm sure there is one on Z1 enterprises or something.

As far as what else it could be, I don't know. I'm pretty new yet. Just wanted to chime in about the float tool.

Comment

Ok I see what you're saying now. Those "screws" on the right aren't screws. Those are air jets. Not adjustable except in size and you don't wanna mess with that right now. The only adjustable screw are the pilot mix screws and they are in the top of the carb toward the front (provided you've pulled the stock EPA plugs, which if you haven't, they're not clean and there's an Oring in there that needs replaced.)
              Also, these carbs, being vacuum type, are not fond of running sans airbox or some sort of restriction. For garage testing, a shop towel folded lengthwise and rubber banded across all four openings will restrict it enough to get her to idle and maybe even accept some throttle.

Comment

Working...
              X