Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb slide sticks

Hi all,

I have a 1979 GS550L and the two middle carb slides stick when they are closed (all the way down). I cant seem to find a reason why. I have tried all of the slides in the middle two barrels, and that's the only place any slide will stick in the closed position. Any ideas as to why it may be sticking? I have also cleaned the carbs out thinking maybe there was gunk in the middle two barrels.

When trying to unstick them, I actually would up breaking the piece the throttle cable goes in, right where the hole is for the barrel on the cable. Anybody have a P/N for that or know where I can possibly find another one?

Thanks for any help.

I should have that part, have an extra set of 550 carbs.
    PM me.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

PM sent!

Anybody have any ideas on the slides in the two middle carbs sticking in the closed position?

Comment

Not sure, but if you need it I have the carb bodies, too.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Gonna open it all up again next weekend and check on the bodies. Ill let you know if I need them/what I find. I hope it isn't a huge problem. I also may have miraculously found that piece close by my house. Going to find out in a few hours for sure. Either way, please PM me with how much you would want for that throttle piece.

Thanks again!

Comment

When you cleaned them, did you let each carb soak for 24 hours in Berryman's or did you just spray it with carb cleaner? Did you really scrub the slides to ensure any old gunk was removed from them as well?
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sorry for looooong wait until a post.

I did soak the carbs in a dip for more than 24 hours. And they are super clean.

After really tearing everything down, it looks like this is the problem:

The main jets are tightened down enough where it appears to snag the carbs. Loosen the jet up, and it not longer sticks. But they are then too far out. Is there a spacer or something that i am missing? Also, is tehre an exploded view of these carbs online anywhere that I can look at?

Thanks for any tips

Comment

There is a very thick brass washer under each main jet. Are those present?
                BikeBandit has blowups of the carbs. Or you could get the manual off BassCliff's website.

Comment

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I just took a look and it lists part 16 as an o-ring, which I did get the kit for. I don't see a washer anywhere.

The other problem is that it is only the middle two carbs that stick like this.

Any other ideas?

Comment

It sounds like the needle is getting too far into the tube and possibly locking up. You need to verify that the needles are the correct size, and that they are shimmed correctly on top. Non-stock, or improper needles might be too fat too far down the needle, and they don't fit into the tubes. Not having the right washer or shim set-up in the slide where the needle mounts might have the needle going too far down the tube, and again, hanging up.

The jet washer I don't think is an issue. The needle should never get far enough down to touch the main jet. It's there to meter fuel in to the tube, and the tube is there to interact with the needle and allow for different flow rates at different slide heights.

Comment

Originally posted by kawfeedave View Post
                        It sounds like the needle is getting too far into the tube and possibly locking up. You need to verify that the needles are the correct size, and that they are shimmed correctly on top. Non-stock, or improper needles might be too fat too far down the needle, and they don't fit into the tubes. Not having the right washer or shim set-up in the slide where the needle mounts might have the needle going too far down the tube, and again, hanging up.

The jet washer I don't think is an issue. The needle should never get far enough down to touch the main jet. It's there to meter fuel in to the tube, and the tube is there to interact with the needle and allow for different flow rates at different slide heights.
                        Vm carbs have adjustable needles and don't have shims

But, your idea is sound

I'd take the needles out of the sticking carbs and try the slides only to see if they still stick

Then, compare all the needles to see if they're the same. Set the needles with the clip in the middle slot and try again
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I took everythign apart again this morning. I think I found the problem.

The main jets in the middle, where the needle actually seats, were bent pretty bad. With the jets from the end cabs in the middle, the slides closed as normal.

Going to replace all four of them. Here is a pic:

Comment

That O ring I believe should be a fiber washer

Comment

Originally posted by Ilanidrac View Post
                              Here is a pic:

Wow, there's a winner in the Previous Owner Syndrome. How do you bend a jet holder? Sit on it?
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X