Carb slide sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    You might be able to feel the tips just barely poking into the carb throat. If you can feel them, remove the screw from the outside, then use the round shank of a Phillips screwdriver to roll across the tip in the carb throat, you might break it free.

Ill give this a shot over next weekend. I am hoping to get this thing running soon!

Thanks for all the tips so far, everyone!

Comment

I have successfully adjusted the valves (Thanks to Steve for all the info on how to!), and rechecked the carbs again. I don't see any passageways as being clogged. They have been soaked 4 or 5 times for 24hours or more each time, and when spraying some cleaner into each passageway, it comes out full force from the other side of the passage.

The bike still only idles on choke (when blipping the choke the revs do go up and down), if off choke it dies off in about 10-15 seconds, and no matter when applied, any thottle whatsoever will kill the bike.

Any other ideas? Is this in some way electrical? Thanks for any more suggestions.

Comment

I may have missed this but were the carbs bench synced and is the master idle screw set high enough so they will idle. After all that, if the bike will idle, a real carb sync would be good.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

It could be that the are closed too far, Have you tried to sync them ? I would do a mechanical sync first, it gets you very close... Re try
          Back out the idle screw all the way.. Then adjust the #3 carb to where it just barley is closed. Then adjust the idle screw up until you can slide a 1/16" drill bit under the slide Then adjust the carbs 1,2 &4 to the same opening.It sounds like you may have a leak with the carb air box
          Last edited by Guest; 11-26-2011, 08:37 PM.

Comment

UPDATE!!!

I have an old set of carbs, the exact same, that I had taken some needle jets from. My father was looking at them, and accidentally stumbled upon our answer! There was a spring on each carb in the wrong position, and they were holding the needles down not allowing them to open to let enough fuel in for it to rev. After moving all the springs where they needed to go, the bike revs like a champ!!!!

Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys!! Can finally call this one solved!

Comment

Thanks for the update.

Now, go back and look at the carb rebuild pages again.

Do they not show the proper assembly order for the needles?

If not, maybe we need to update the rebuild guide.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Thanks for the update.

Now, go back and look at the carb rebuild pages again.

Do they not show the proper assembly order for the needles?

If not, maybe we need to update the rebuild guide.

They gotta come off the bike again, and now we are gonna go though them with a fine tooth comb, just to be sure.

Good thing we had that spare rack to check against too lol.

Comment

Working...
                X