Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping when starting up.

Hello,

When i try to starup my bike, it doesn't seem to get any fuel, and when it does it misfires and makes a loud pop in one of the combustion chambers.

I recently cleaned and put in replacement parts for all the carbs.

Before i did this it ran clean but leaked fuel because of a bad float.

The pilot jets i screwed in about three turns in so they would be able to suck up the fuel, could i have raised them too high? or could it be something else?

Popping is usually too much fuel igniting on the wasted spark stroke.
    Is your valve clearance in spec?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

valve clearance should be fine, i didn't mess with the valves.

Comment

what it does in more detail, engine will crank, but it wont sound like its igniting fuel, and every few seconds it pops like i said.

Comment

Originally posted by tyhillert91 View Post
          what it does in more detail, engine will crank, but it wont sound like its igniting fuel, and every few seconds it pops like i said.
          What model is this bike- any chance you misconnected plug wires?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. tyhillert91,

The aftermarket "carb kits" almost always contain inferior parts and can be detrimental to your carb health. It's best to re-use all of the original stock parts (replacing only what's necessary with Suzuki OEM parts), clean the carbs properly, and replace the internal rubber O-rings with a kit from our friend Robert Barr at http://cycleorings.com as you reassemble the carbs. You'll find more about this and the other critical maintenance your bike needs in your "mega-welcome".

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi,

valve clearance should be fine, i didn't mess with the valves.
              Just because you "didn't mess" with them doesn't mean that they are in spec. Check the valve clearances. This is one of the critical maintenance tasks listed in your "mega-welcome" maintenance lists. Your bike will love you for it.

You have a 30 year old motorcycle that has probably been neglected at best, abused at worst. It needs some TLC.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Cliff already said it but you can't just not mess with the valves and think they'll be okay. I learned that lesson last year, fortunately not through the hard way, and my bike has loved me ever since. Take the time and go through all the maintenance or you'll have many more problems.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Before i did this it ran clean but leaked fuel because of a bad float.

The pilot jets i screwed in about three turns in so they would be able to suck up the fuel, could i have raised them too high? or could it be something else?
                  What Carb are you running and what kind of bike is this on?

Few things to check:

Floats Could be to high/low (they may need to be adjusted.. but I can't give you the specs without knowing the kind of bike/carb you have)

Pilot Jets (Again without knowing the Bike/Carb can't give you specs on this either)

To me this sounds like the pistons are loading up with fuel and only firing on certain cylinders soooo check your plugs... you may have fouled plugs from to much fuel getting into the cylinders which in turn still means your getting to much fuel from the Carbs into the cylinders which would still need to be addressed once you have known good spark plugs.

Petcock functioning properly? Fuel flowing from Primary, stops on Off etc....

Comment

Im running it on BS33 Mikuni Carbs, the bike is a 1981 gs550L

Comment

im running it on bs33 mikuni carbs, the bike is a 1981 gs550l
                      bs32ss
                      :d
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

quite right you are good sir!
                        BS32SS is correct!

have a cookie

Comment

ive deduced a few problems from the posts ill try some fixes tomorrow.
                          ill keep you all posted thanks for the advice!

Comment

I'm with Tom on this one, incorrect spark plug - HT lead orientation, way off ignition timing or messed up valve timing/gaps.

Check the easy ones (HT leads) first!

Good luck!

Comment

ive found a problem!
                              Two of the spark plug wires were mixed up.

now it starts with the throttle fully open, has a very low idle, and then dies.

im looking at the spark plugs and theyre wet. not oil wet but gas wet. that means an incorrect mixture correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X