No announcement yet.

Popping when starting up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It means you tried to start it with the throttle wide open.
    Use the choke only.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by tyhillert91 View Post

The pilot jets i screwed in about three turns in so they would be able to suck up the fuel, could i have raised them too high? or could it be something else?
      The pilot jet should be screwed in all the way.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

don't do what I did. Check your idle screw on the bottom of the carbs in between carb 2-3 and screw it all the way out and when it berely touches the plate then go 2-3 full turns in. try that then make adjustments to the screw once it starts

Comment

Originally posted by Tenrilid View Post
          don't do what I did. Check your idle screw on the bottom of the carbs in between carb 2-3 and screw it all the way out and when it berely touches the plate then go 2-3 full turns in. try that then make adjustments to the screw once it starts

what did you do out of curiosity?

Comment

Originally posted by tyhillert91 View Post
            what did you do out of curiosity?
            Probably discovered that his idle stop screw was holding throttle plates too open which tends to complicate cold starts. Since you probably can't see plate position without removing stuff, best to check by backing off screw and then going back in 2 - 3 turns. As chef said, just use "choke" no throttle input.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X