1978 gs 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs 1000

I need help jetting my carbs for my GS 1000. I got my bike 3 weeks ago, for $300 at an auction, it has stock motor, stock airbox, filter. 4-1 open header. I got the timing on,bench synched the carbs, bike starts up and idles fine, when I rev it up it gets to about 3-4rpms and starts to bog down unless I let off. Right now the main jets are 95, pilots are 17. I have the air screws turned out 1.5 turns. and fuel screw on the outer 2 carbs out 2 turns and the inner two 2.5 turns. If anyone could tell me where they should be at, everthing I have found for the fuel screws says PRESET.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. wllara,

With the stock airbox and a 4-n-1 there shouldn't be a radical change in jetting. I'm no carb guru but I'll share a thought. Start with one size up on the main jets and raise the needles one or two positions. Do some "plug chops" and adjust as necessary. Generally the air screw starts at 3/4 to 7/8 turn out (from lightly seated) and the fuel screw is twice that.

I'm actually here to dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Probably need about a 105 main jet or thereabouts, maybe 102.5.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I don't see any mention of any type of carb cleaning. Also, how do the plugs look?
        Did ya change the oil before ya fired it up?

If it we mine I'd at least dip the carbs per BassCliffs tutorial. Also Go up a size on the main and raise the needle a notch.
        Then adjust the valves. Also dont forget looking at the brakes and tires before ya roll it down the road.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Follow Up

Cleaned the carbs in Barrymans carb cleaner totally took them apart new orings, changed oil, oil filter, new spark plugs, set gaps. I just checked again pilots are 15 so the carbs have stock jetting. I thought they were 17's. They were pretty clean I've had worse. Ive worked on a KZ 650 VM24's I think, got the bike running pretty good I had to rejett those too, but some one suggest what to go with and it worked great. Any thoughts on Open Header, will this cause any issues, with the motor?back pressure? I have no idea, Im pretty new to working on bikes but, Im obsessed with learning what I can.

Comment

I'd go

Main 102.5
            Pilot 15
            Air screw - 1 1/2 -2
            Fuel -7/8 -1

Bogging is generally a lean condition

Your fuel screws are waaay too far out - be careful and don't snap the tips off
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks For the Help

I'm gonna try the 102.5 mains, gonna get them ordered through Z1, Any thoughts on the open header, will that cause any issues besides rejetting? Any ideas, let me hear em, Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wllara View Post
                I'm gonna try the 102.5 mains, gonna get them ordered through Z1, Any thoughts on the open header, will that cause any issues besides rejetting? Any ideas, let me hear em, Thanks
                Yes, waaaay too noisy

Do all us other motorcyclists a favor, put a baffle in it and travel well with less noise
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                X