Could this be a carb issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could this be a carb issue?

I honestly believe it is, but yalls opinion would be nice. Just as of yesterday my bike has been giving off very low muffles from the exhaust and even occasionally on fast accelerations it actually pops., its usually very clear and crisp.

Also here an there when I pull the throttle it takes a slight hesitation which automatically screams CLEAN YOUR CARBS.

My idle is still perfect, starts right up first time, and rpms at 3k plus theres no hesitation. but under specifically in 1st and 2nd gears there is slight "lunging" that has never been there.

Let me know if you think this is carbs for sure? I have also noticed some rust in the gas tank and recently used sea foam, thinking that might of loosened up some of the rust and may have dirtied up the carbs.
    Is that what you'd say or any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

I say Check your plugs first.. Our GS850 would do this when a plug was fouling out. If your plugs look of the normal "Greyish" ting then my guess it's just a plug or plugs gone bad.. If any of them have the "Black sooty" look to them then your bike is running rich which means there's something going on before the plugs which could very well mean something is happening at your carb or before that even.... Check the plugs first.

Comment

Have you replaced the intake tube O-rings yet?

Comment

Hi,

What maintenance have you done to your bike? Have you ever cleaned the carbs or serviced the air intake system? Are you using an inline fuel filter?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ok, I'm not using an inline fuel filter (I should and am going too from now on, starting today), The previous owner rebuilt the carbs, but have not took them off to look at myself yet, only thing I've done is run Sea Foam through them. Same goes for the air intake system, have yet to take it off myself.
          Just bought 4 new spark plugs going to put those on shortly, the old ones were a little black, i was able to clean them off fine with sea foam and put them back on with the same problem.

Comment

Hi,

I was not recommending and inline fuel filter. If your gas tank, carbs, and fuel system are clean, there is no need for one. Sometimes they can cause restriction and fuel starvation. I know some here use them (the right kind, a gravity fed filter - like for a lawn mower), but most don't. Make sure there is no rust in your tank and the carbs are properly cleaned.

"The previous owner rebuilt the carbs" concerns me a bit. If he just slapped in an aftermarket "carb kit" then he may have caused more problems than he solved.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2011, 03:20 PM.

Comment

You're going to have to dig in a little. Depending on what you find when starting at the air box and going forward to the carbs (condition of everything), there isn't much we can do. But willing to help, none the less.

Comment

Im using evaporust to clean the tank now, only picked up a gallon of it but rotating the tank about every half hour. There was no signs of any bad gaskets, seals or anything as far the air intake system goes, Thank God! So I'm hoping once the tank is cleaned, and I put the gas in and mix in some b12 chemtool, that after 20 miles or so I should notice some improvements. Thanks for the help guys

Comment

I'd recommend cleaning your carbs via BassCliffs tutorial.
                  If your tank is dirty enough that you're cleaning it with Evaporust then there is prolly some chucks in the carbs. It dont take much.

sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                    I'd recommend cleaning your carbs via BassCliffs tutorial.
                    If your tank is dirty enough that you're cleaning it with Evaporust then there is prolly some chucks in the carbs. It dont take much.

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage...rb_rebuild.pdf
                    I am definitely going to do that if needed Just want to see if it's even to that point yet, if it is, carb cleaning time!

Comment

EvapoRust is great stuff! Cleaned the tank and a few other items I'm really smiling because the bike is running great again!! I had to tune the air intake slightly, one of the hoses had come a little lose as well. But all is good, thanks for the help as usual

Comment

Working...
                      X