Stumped, need advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stumped, need advise

Hey guys, new member, sweet website. I recently bought an 83 650gl and rode it for about a week before it started acting up. Now whenever i turn it on it immediately red lines to like 7 or 8 grand, even letting out on the clutch it accelerates to the top of the gear. Opened up the carbs and there was a large hole in one of the diaphragms, patched it and it fixed the problem for about 2 miles then it started doing it again. I have tried completely cleaning all 4 carbs, including needle valves, Ive synced them up using the tool, adjusted the fuel screws( not really sure the correct term a mechanic buddy told me to try it) and every time it fixes the problem for a few miles then starts up again. Any advise would be most welcome.

Originally posted by WayMMetal View Post
    Hey guys, new member, sweet website. I recently bought an 83 650gl and rode it for about a week before it started acting up. Now whenever i turn it on it immediately red lines to like 7 or 8 grand, even letting out on the clutch it accelerates to the top of the gear. Opened up the carbs and there was a large hole in one of the diaphragms, patched it and it fixed the problem for about 2 miles then it started doing it again. I have tried completely cleaning all 4 carbs, including needle valves, Ive synced them up using the tool, adjusted the fuel screws( not really sure the correct term a mechanic buddy told me to try it) and every time it fixes the problem for a few miles then starts up again. Any advise would be most welcome.
    A hole in a diaphram would be serious intake air leak,letting revs climb with no throttle input, but it wouldn't let engine run away with clutch engaged- unless your throttle plates are being held too open. If you spent some time on this site, you've probably discovered that carb cleaning is serious business- how did you clean yours?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      A hole in a diaphram would be serious intake air leak,letting revs climb with no throttle input, ...
      Not sure about your carbs, Tom, but all the ones I have seen have had the diaphragm on the unpstream side of the throttle.

Yeah it's air flowing through a wrong source, but it's still air that has to then flow past the throttle butterflies.

WayMMetal, you can not "patch" the diapragms with any degree of success, you need to replace them. New ones are VERY expensive, hopefully someone here has some in good shape for you.

Check your cable routings if they go past the carbs. I don't remember how the 650 clutch cable is routed, but my 850 cables go past the throttle linkage and have a retainer to keep them away. If the retainer is missing, some very exciting times can result.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X