• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel not flowing..?

Hi im new here..nice forum btw.
    I hav a 80 gs1000l.
    Long story short.
    It hasnt been run in a couple months..so i siphoned old fuel..put in new.
    As i look thru the fuel line i notice nothin going to carbs..is there something im missing?
    I did hav to connect the. ..Vacuum? Line to petcock..
    Also..there is no "knob" to turn on fuel.just what looks like i could turn a small poece with a tiny screwdriver.
    Should that thing be messed with.?
    Previous owner said he never had to touch it..it just ran fine...hmm
    please help.thanks
    T.$

I'm guessing you have a clear fuel line. Yes, there should be a vacuum line from the petcock to the engine side of the #2 carb. Being a vacuum actuated petcock, fuel shouldn't flow if the bikes not running; but you can check to see if it works if you pull the line off the carb and apply vacuum to it (meaning suck on it), the gas should flow enough to fill up the bowls.
    You need to have a small screw driver to turn the petcock - a real wonder of user friendly engineering. I haven't messed with mine for a while, but I'm pretty sure horizontal is normal on and vertical is prime - which means it will continue to flow gas after the vacuum is turned off. Notice I said after the vacuum is gone - because even in the prime position you have to apply vacuum either by starter motor or by mouth to start the gas flowing.
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Thanks...I'll give that a shot.
      O yeah, so while I was looking at it the other day, I was curious if there was any fuel in the carbs at all.
      I took out the screw on the bottom of 1 carb, and gas started coming out.NOW...I don't know how much gas is needed to fire up..But I had NOTHING..no sputter..pop..wheeze or whistle..zero.

Shouldn't I get some kind of "attempt" to fire?

It just turned over and over and over.

Point is..I know the fuel isnt flowing..but with SOME gas in the carbs..(Though its been sittin a few mos) I expected something other than just turning.

Thanks.
      BTW.I did pull a plug..looked ok.not wet.Turned it over and saw spark..though maybe it could stand to be brighter though..hmm.Maybe I have a few issues.

Comment

There may not be the same amount of gas in all the bowls. anyway, with all the GS's I've owned, if I don't prime the carbs first before attempting to start, it would turn and turn and turn almost killing the battery before starting. You have to prime the carbs with these bikes if it's been sitting for an extended period of time. By prime, I mean you have to set the petcock to prime where fuel will flow into the bowls freely without the vacuum needed to open up the diaphram. I let them prime for about a minute or so, then crank it. Usually starts within a few seconds.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
          I'm guessing you have a clear fuel line. Yes, there should be a vacuum line from the petcock to the engine side of the #2 carb. Being a vacuum actuated petcock, fuel shouldn't flow if the bikes not running; but you can check to see if it works if you pull the line off the carb and apply vacuum to it (meaning suck on it), the gas should flow enough to fill up the bowls.
          You need to have a small screw driver to turn the petcock - a real wonder of user friendly engineering. I haven't messed with mine for a while, but I'm pretty sure horizontal is normal on and vertical is prime - which means it will continue to flow gas after the vacuum is turned off. Notice I said after the vacuum is gone - because even in the prime position you have to apply vacuum either by starter motor or by mouth to start the gas flowing.
          maybe its because mine is a UK model i dont know but switching it to prime, the fuel flows straight away, without any cranking. handy for filling carbs after a rebuild or if you want to drain the tank.
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            maybe its because mine is a UK model i dont know but switching it to prime, the fuel flows straight away, without any cranking. handy for filling carbs after a rebuild or if you want to drain the tank.
            The two I have, work the same way.

Comment

Are ther spark plugs getting wet with gas?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                The 1980 petcock is a bit "special" in the olympic sense of the word. While in the run position, the valve has a tiny, metered vacuum leak designed into the petcock - the engine vacuum overwhelms the leak and the diaphragm stays open as long as there is vacuum. In the prime position, this tiny leak is blocked off and the petcock depends on a rubber check valve to hold the diaphragm open After an initial vacuum source is applied.

The check valve on my bike is garbage, so therefore Pri = Run.
                -1980 GS1100 LT
                -1975 Honda cb750K
                -1972 Honda cl175

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                  The 1980 petcock is a bit "special" in the olympic sense of the word. While in the run position, the valve has a tiny, metered vacuum leak designed into the petcock - the engine vacuum overwhelms the leak and the diaphragm stays open as long as there is vacuum. In the prime position, this tiny leak is blocked off and the petcock depends on a rubber check valve to hold the diaphragm open After an initial vacuum source is applied.

The check valve on my bike is garbage, so therefore Pri = Run.
                  mines a 78 1000E
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

What's the position of the throttle plates when you're tying to start?
                    -1980 GS1100 LT
                    -1975 Honda cb750K
                    -1972 Honda cl175

Comment

Just how much have you done to this bike? If the previous owner never touched it, then it's time that YOU touched it. There is a laundry list of basic things to do to these 30 year old machines to get them running right. Other wise you'll be chasing your tail on this kind of stuff. Let me stress a key element in that statement: 30 year old bike. I'm willing to bet that 30 years of dirt and crud combined with a few months of varnished gas are causing your problem.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. t-money,

You've got a lot of work ahead of you. Your "mega-welcome" contains a couple of maintenance lists and every item is critical to the proper operation, reliability, and safety of your motorcycle. Skipping steps and taking shortcuts will leave you frustrated and stranded on the side of the road at best, or injured and severely dead at worst. You have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs 20 years worth of maintenance. Roll up your sleeves and prepare to have dirty fingernails for months.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks..

Well..she runs.i pulled the tank so i cld scope out what was goin on with the petcock as no amount of turning would get fuel to flow..
                          It all looked good.i then attached a siphoning ball thingy onto the vacuum line...i could hear ot fuctioning as i squeezed the ball..
                          So i tuned the tank over...squeezed the bal and presto..gas flow.
                          I put it all back togetherwith the siphon stil attached....gave her a couple squeezes..and filled up those big thirsty carbys...hit the starter buttn..and she roared.to life.
                          Runs pretty good.as i mentioned..the guy...SAID..it was running great pther than the starter.
                          And boy do i have stories(and pics) of the starter adventure.
                          But thats for another day..its a biznitch to type from smrtfone.

Anyway..thanks gang..ill talk to you soon.

Comment

So in the end, all you had to do was fill your carbs with fuel and she roared to life? I am having a similar problem but maybe the solution is to put a lot more fuel into the carbs? hmmmmmm.

thoughts?

my bike was working fine then sat for a year and now doesn't. GS1000L. see my other thread if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by speedorchid View Post

thoughts?

my bike was working fine then sat for a year and now doesn't. GS1000L
                              It would be nice if it was as simple as the more gas stuff- sometimes you get lucky, but usually an idle bike will make you work to atone for your neglect.
                              Just caught your own post for first time- will ponder it. If bike ran well before, should run well again .
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X