Throttle Stuck Open on 1981 GS550T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Stuck Open on 1981 GS550T

Hey guys first time poster here. This forum and BassCliff's site were a great help for the hang-ups I came across when I changed my intake boots / o rings recently. After I put everything back together though I've been having some issues with the throttle cable.

The first start after reassembly I fired it up and the engine rocketed up with an idle speed of 5k. Turns out I had the throttle cable too tight and loosening it gave a little free play and brought the idle back to around 1.2k. However, now whenever I open the throttle about halfway the throttle bar gets stuck open and won't snap back.

Any suggestions? I didn't change the routing at all and I didn't have this problem before separating the cable from the carbs.

Thanks in advance!

PS - I'll get some pics up soon. Still getting all the surface rust off the chrome!

Start simple. Disconnect the throttle and lube up the cables. While the cables are off, make sure the throttle assembly moves freely on the carb rack. Report back after that.

Use a good chain lube on the cables, and a cable luber if you have one.

Comment

Figured it out. It wasn't seated completely right on the rack and the cable is just beginning to unravel a bit. Fixed the seating and ordered a new one.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X