What am I missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I missing?

I've got a 77 GS750 with a Mac exhaust and K&N drop in air filter. Here's what I've done:

Sealed the air box
    New boots on both sides of the carbs
    New O rings between the carb boots and engine
    Carb dip 24hrs, with new o rings
    Valve adjustment
    carbs syncd with vacuum tool

Petcock is original, but seems to work as designed (only flows fuel with vacuum, no fuel in vacuum hose)

I'm working my way through tuning the fuel/air screws with the color tune. I've done cylinder #4 and now I'm on #3. The bike starts up and idles great, far better than it ever has and it is getting better as I make adjustments with the color tune. But what concerns me is the adjustments I'm having to make to get the blue flame I'm supposed to be getting. On #4 I had to back the fuel screw out almost 2 full turns to get the air screw to make any difference. Right now I've got it about 1.5 turns out on #3 and the air screw makes no difference (I can screw it all the way in and nothing happens).

I'm assuming this means there's an air leak some where but I feel like I've covered all the basics in that department. Everything looks tight and the way it should be

So what am I missing? Or is this OK?

How far out are the fuel screws (the ones on the bottom)?

With your setup, they should be about 1 turn out.

As a rule, the air screws will end up about double the fuel screws, so 2 turns is about right.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I set them at 1 when I put the carbs back together but so far I've had to increase that by 1 turn on #4 and atleast 1/2 turn on #3. I havent touched #1 or #2 yet.

Edit: For the two I've worked with, when the fuel screw is at 1 turn out the air screw makes no changes no matter what I do

Comment

Originally posted by Firewall View Post
        For the two I've worked with, when the fuel screw is at 1 turn out the air screw makes no changes no matter what I do
        When you had the carbs apart, did you verify that the tips of the screws were not broken off in the holes?

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Unless I damaged them putting it back together they were sharp and pointy.

I was just skimming the carb rebuild guide and noticed it says set the float height to 24mm. I'm pretty sure this is what I did. However, the carb spec chart on Basscliff's website says 26mm. Which is correct, and could float height create the issues I'm having?

Comment

According to the chart that I have for reference, the correct measurement for your carbs is 23 mm.
            That is listed for the '78 models, I don't have anything that mentions '77 specifically.

I just looked at the service manual on BassCliff's site, it says 26 mm.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Arg, I think I know the problem but I can't find a picture of the stock airfilter to verify.

I opened my airbox and there is a gap between the filter and the top metal plate on the sides. No matter how tight the screws are this gap appears, infact tighting the screws seemed to make it worse.

If memory serves, isn't there supposed to be a bottom metal plate too? Meaning shouldnt the filter be sandwiched between two metal plates?

My stock filter is long gone so I'll have to buy that bottom plate if that's the case

Comment

Sigh, found the pic of the stock air cleaner i needed. Don't know that it's *the* problem but definitely seems like it would be *a* problem.

Thanks for the help anyways Steve

Comment

Stock float settings for the 77 carbs is 26mm. There not the same as the later models. I still think you could get away with a +/- of 1mm even though the book doesn't specify that like the later models.

I'll also add, before you get everything all tuned up, you'll likely find that you're going to need a larger main jet and to move the needle clip down a notch for your KN and pipe

Comment

That gap should be sealed with weather stripping material.

Comment

Josh is correct on the float height 26MM I have a 77 and a 78 750 and they are the same.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X