Confused about my exhaust setup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about my exhaust setup!

I have a 4 way exhaust setup like n the picture below. My muffler is an early gsxr1000 stock muffler as seen in my bike sig. The person I got the bike from grafter this muffler onto the Jardine exhaust system. The problem is I have the Jardine muffler I want to put on the bike in replace of the gsxr muffler, yet I cant even find a 4 way bolt on exhaust period. Mine looks to be a slide on has 3 spaces on the end of the pipe about 1 in" long and only a cm or so width. If I could find an adapter to put on the Jardine muffler that would allow me to screw into a 4 way like in the picture, that would be amazing.

Let me know guys, if worst comes to worst I could take it to my exhaust man and just have him weld take of the grafted 4 bolt piece and put on the jardine, but I'd rather not, since I would have to go back to weld on the gsxr muffler. I want it to be so both pipes are interchangeable by the 4 bolt pattern. Reason being the Gsxr muffler is very quite I want to for trips, the Jardine is powerful and mean sounding I want to use for commuting around town!

This is the 4 bolt pattern.

This is what the back of my muffler looks lke that hooks to the 4 bolt pattern on my exhaust pipes
    Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2011, 09:15 PM. Reason: Added photo

Nice goal, but be aware that the difference in noise is probably a direct result in difference in air flow.

If there is that much difference in air flow, you will have to re-jet your carbs every time you switch the can.

Just stick with the quiet pipe and make everybody around you happy.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Nice goal, but be aware that the difference in noise is probably a direct result in difference in air flow.

If there is that much difference in air flow, you will have to re-jet your carbs every time you switch the can.

Just stick with the quiet pipe and make everybody around you happy.

Haha thanks, I have been able to attach the jardine muffler for a short period of time, unable to drive like that and it sounds awesome, with no difference in idle or anything so I doubt the air flow is too much different.

As seen in this picture, I damaged the end a little while doing so

So if anyone knows how to attach this muffler ^^ to the 4 bolt exhaust pattern, PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Comment

Originally posted by 78gs1000 View Post
        ..., with no difference in idle or anything so I doubt the air flow is too much different.
        The difference at idle is minimal, if any. The difference will only show up at speed, when you are "enjoying" the difference in noise.

If the carbs are jetted for the quiet pipe and you install the other one, enjoy your noise while you can.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If the goal is to go from one to the other without modding the mid-pipe itself, your best bet would be to forget about the Jardine, and pick up a GSXR aftermarket can on ebay, with a matching 4-bolt configuration (there are dozens available, sooner or later you'll score one at a decent price). The aftermarket cans are generally not as quiet as the stock cans, and freer flowing. That Jardine is meant to be a slip-on....you would have to butcher it and weld, to accept a modern 4 bolt flange, and after all that expense it might still not look right.
          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Hmm not the answer I wanted but I'm sure the correct one, I saw this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yoshi...Q5fAccessories
            and it's definitely tempting since yoshimura is Japanese and so is the bike

Comment

Working...
            X