leaking gas, gas in oil questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking gas, gas in oil questions

I had been working on my project for a month or so and got it all back together. I put gas in the tank and a flood comes out the air box. It starts like it should and runs with the choke in. If I touch the throttle it dies immediately. Then I remember reading threads about gas in the oil. I reread a bunch of threads. Went some Berryman’s chem-dip for dipping carbs and will check the float levels. It was on prime since before I stopped riding it would run best on prime and not leak. I am assuming that after the dip it will run well at the on position.

My questions:

I am taking a break from the bike as long as I can stand it. There is a slight smell of gas in the oil. Do I need to drain it now if I don't plan on running it until the oil is changed?

Besides cleaning the carbs, is there anything else that I need to do to get it running again? (I dipped the carbs 6 or so months ago, but it wasn't Berryman's) I don't think anything got into the tank from painting the tins except some water but it was try when I added fuel. The filter might have been dusty and didn't think about it until it was too late.

Originally posted by Mop Bucket View Post
    ...... I put gas in the tank and a flood comes out the air box.
    Float needle not closing, problem with a float or problem with float heigth adjustment.

If gas comming out airbox, was probably some going into cyclinder also and if bike not runing then gas in cyclinder is going into crankcase oil.

With petcock on PRIme, then any problem with the floats and will overflow carbs like this. That is why the petcock is automatic, to shut off when bike not running..

Anyway, you ask if any reason to cahnge oil if not going to run it for a while.
    I dont know why, other than so dont forget.

Last edited by Redman; 08-14-2011, 10:28 PM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

If you're petcock has been on prime this whole time, you've kind of been asking for it. If it doesn't run right in the on position, then it sounds like it's time for a new petcock.

I don't think it'll hurt sitting while you take your break honestly. Just be sure to drain it and change your filter and all that before running it again. My crank flooded a few weeks back and I had no time to do anything so it sat with gas/oil in it for a few days. Nothing noticeable as a result. Seems that my float levels were a problem. Since I adjusted them I haven't had a repeat.

If you want to check your petcock to see if it's working right, set to on, hook up your hoses, run the fuel line to an empty container and give a lil suck on the vacuum line. If it opens and then closes when you release, all is well. If it pees all over without vacuum, it's got issues.

Anyone think of anything I missed? Correct any misinformation?

Comment

Pull the fuel line and plug it with a bolt or ? until you fix it.. Did you replace the float valve O rings ?

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Mop Bucket View Post
          There is a slight smell of gas in the oil. Do I need to drain it now if I don't plan on running it until the oil is changed?
          I wouldn't leave diluted oil in my engine. It only take a few minutes to replace the oil. Gas in the oil doesn't do the bearings any good. It probably won't hurt anything as long as you don't run it, but I'd go ahead and change it. Then fix the fuel leak. See: Overflowing Carbs

Besides cleaning the carbs, is there anything else that I need to do to get it running again?
          If you go through the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome" and address every task, you will have a safe, reliable, fine running machine. If you skip any steps or take any shortcuts then you will be left stranded on the side of the road at best, injured or severely killed at worst. You have a 30 year old machine that needs 20 years worth of maintenance. Take your time, do it all properly. Then you and your bike will be insanely happy.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The peatcock is new for Z1, but I will test it to make sure its ok. Replaced o-rings about 6 months ago. I think either something got in carbs while I was painting or something like that.

Basscliff, I lived on your site when I first started this bike restore adventure. I will change the oil soon. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Comment

Is there rust in the tank?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

No rust, I treated it with por 15

Comment

Working...
                X