Slide Gum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slide Gum?

I have cleaned my carbs (dipped stripped, the Full Monty) several times.

This weekend, I was finally ready to test drive the beast after a massive top-end tear down.

The fuel/air mix and synching are destroying my mind, but I will work on that more before posting here. Instead, here is a side oddity.

I also replaced my handlebars, and the new position on the throttle was giving me some problems in that the throttle did not want to snap closed. I checked the cables, throttle assembly, etc. to find out where it was binding up.

At first, the throttle spring on the carbs checked out, with it snapping back nicely. Connected the "go cable" and she continued to snap back. Then connected the "close" cable, and problem returned. Most of this appeared to be from the new cable routing, because unattached, both cables moved freely in the housings. So I rerouted them until I got a good snap closure.

Took the bike for a short trip around the neighborhood. On top of some obvious mixture problems, the throttle began acting up -- failing to close quickly. The assembly refuses to stay in place on the bar, so I figured that was shifting the cable routes, and causing the problem.

I brought her back home and started working back through the cables. When I checked the slides/spring at the carbs, they no longer snapped close. WTF?

Pulled the carbs of the bike and found 2-3 of the slides were gummed up with spots of dark grey junk on them, causing them to stick. Stripped them down again, so they are soaking in Berryman's where they can "think about what they've done."

With freshly cleaned carbs, what could gum the slides like that so quickly? The only thing that I can think of is that I ran out of spray carb cleaner in the last strip down and used a bit of brake cleaner to check some passages. I figured that these two cleaners were pretty similar, as they both reek of acetone. Could brake cleaner gum up in the carbs?

Brake cleaner is much more damaging to rubber and plastic. I would be very careful what you use it on. It may have dissolved some plastic or something in the carb. I would look through those carbs very carefully again to see what that gunk came from.

Or, the alternative is that the carbs were not as clean as you thought and the brake cleaner knocked some crud loose that was still in there.

Chris

Comment

Roger that. I have extra o-rings in case any of them were damaged.

The gummed slides are consistent with a damaged o-ring, so I'll make sure to swap them out.

Comment

Your throttle cables are too long. You can experiment with different ways to reroute them but the bottom line is that the cables are designed for handlebars at least 8" higher than you currently have. I don't know what the solution to that problem is for your bike. On some GS models there are short cables available, such as from the 550M or 1000S, but I don't think there are any shorter OE cables for the VM22's on your bike, unless by chance the 1979 GS1000S cables would fit since that model had VM26 carbs so it's a maybe. You might have to go aftermarket for your cables. I've read here that Flanders will custom build cables for any application but I have no experience with this. Motion Pro also sells cables so maybe they will have something. Not sure.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Your throttle cables are too long. You can experiment with different ways to reroute them but the bottom line is that the cables are designed for handlebars at least 8" higher than you currently have. I don't know what the solution to that problem is for your bike. On some GS models there are short cables available, such as from the 550M or 1000S, but I don't think there are any shorter OE cables for the VM22's on your bike, unless by chance the 1979 GS1000S cables would fit since that model had VM26 carbs so it's a maybe. You might have to go aftermarket for your cables. I've read here that Flanders will custom build cables for any application but I have no experience with this. Motion Pro also sells cables so maybe they will have something. Not sure.
          Tried the reverse part No. trick but no luck. Which of the smaller GS bikes use VM26 carbs? I'll check out the fiche on that 1979 GS1000S also.

Comment

Working...
          X